43oh

16 voice wavetable synth/sampler with MSP430G2553

Hey forum!

I always wanted to make a synthesizer , so i chose the msp430 launchpad, because it's one of the most inappropriate chip i can use for it  :grin:

When i started to make it i didn't have real goal, i just wanted to make a sound, so this project is kind if all over the place but i have learned a lot doing it so it was totally worth it.

The DAC used is a  TI TLC5615, it's not the best choice, but i only had this in my parts bin.

Probably any other SPI DAC could be used with minimal modification, or even PWM.

(I don't sound good with PWM IMO.)

The TLC5615 needs 5 volts, but it seem to run good with 3.6 volt from the launchpad,or you could use TP3 (the USB 5V) but that can be noisy, I used a separate 5V supply.

The crystal is required, because it tunes the DCO on every start up to a pre-defined value

( i ran it at 19Mhz without any problems)

If you change the frequency , you only need to change the bit rate divider for the USCI UART.

There are a lot to optimize/rewrite but i kind of grew tired of playing with variables to get a few more bytes of free ram.

Maybe i'll rewrite it on an F5510 as it would be a much better choice because it has 8 x Ram as much ram and a hardware multiplier.

This is a synth with 16 voice of polyphony.
It accepts midi massages from 1-8 and 10 (for the drum sounds).
Each midi channel has it's own different settings for:
-MIDI program 
-LFO width and speed  (CC01 for combined mod wheel control, CC02 for width,CC03 for speed
-Oscillator type (simple with any waveform or with ADSR square or sine wave)
-Pitch bend
-Portamento on/of (CC65)
-Portamento speed (CC05)
-Channel volume (CC07)
 It plays 8 sine/square with ADSR, 4 with any waveform (now only Saw and triangle), and 4 drum sounds simultaneously.

Here are two songs i recorded with it: Soundcloud.

I have attached the CCS Project with the source codes in a ZIP, the schematics, and a picture of how it look on my breadboard.

post-24940-0-55401800-1356709249_thumb.jpg

post-24940-0-09586600-1356709255_thumb.jpg

mSpYNTH.zip

mysy

• 2 years later...

@nemui-kuma 

Hey man, that is an interesting project you have there! For my Design course I am supposed to create a device similar and was hoping to get reference from yours. In your schematic you have some devices labelled P1 A-Out and P2 SBW. I am guessing A out is analog out but what piece does SBW refer to?

Also does the midi input come from a usb cable? 

• 1 month later...