43oh

Some road blocks trying to complete 16X2 LCD Hello World project...

I'm trying to finish a 16X2 LCD Hello World project and I'm having a little trouble.

I'm obviously new to this so you'll have to excuse me here.  I started out by following a youtube tutorial using energia and a sample lcd hello world program.

I downloaded energia and tried to upload the sample program but I keep getting this error when I try to compile:

dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
/Volumes/energia-0101E0008-macosx/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/msp430/bin/msp430-g++ returned 133

I was on a mac using energia so I'm not sure if this was related to the problem so I copy and pasted the code to code composer studio on a pc.  

I tried to find the .h file online and copy and paste that into a new .h window.

I'm not sure if that is the correct procedure for linking these things but now I'm getting this error message from code composer studio:

Fatal error #5: could not open source file "LiquidCrystal.h"

This is a link to the code I'm using.

**I'm obviously not attached to this code so if theres another 16X2 lcd hello world project that would be more straightforward, I'd love to hear about it.

You need the contrast pot.  If you haven't got the contrast set, you'll either see all black squares or all clear.  If you don't have a pot handy, you could use 2 equal resistors, lead 1 of resistor A to Vcc, lead 1 of resistor B to Gnd, and the other leads of the resistors connected together at the contrast input.  You might get lucky :)

Hello Oscarasimov,

Not sure will this help, the 3.3v LCD i have (also from ebay at this link through a member on the forum shared with us, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Character-LCD-Display-LCM-1602-16X2-162-blue-3-3v-/330547348061 and original post here at http://forum.43oh.com/topic/1594-blue-16x2-character-display-398-shipped/ ) will light up like below with just the following lines connected to Vcc (3.3V) and GND of the LaunchPad respectively:

post-286-0-75713400-1357285616_thumb.jpg

01 - GND             
 02 - VCC (3.3V from LP)
 15 - VCC (3.3V from LP) 
 16 - GND

The other one that runs on 5V will show no display whatsoever when connected the same way to LP, not even a little backlight. 

Besides, below is a picture of the back of both just for reference, even if anyone of these looks like yours there's no guarantee.. Another thing is that the bubble package on my lcd is labeled "LCD1602 Blue 3.3V", if it is still there might worth a check.. hope this help.

Top is 5V.

Bottom is 3.3V.

post-286-0-75869900-1357285641_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been trying mine with the LiquidCrystal and the Google Code example, and hit the same problem. The backlight shows, the pot controls the display ok - bringing the boxes up, but also cannot get any text to display. I suspect the same problem, the voltage from the 3.3v isn't high enough to trigger the display. I think mine is 5v so thats probably the problem.

if u need to id whether your lcd is 3.3v or 5v. also some tricks to troubleshoot, there is this old thread.

http://forum.43oh.com/topic/1545-how-to-connect-lcd-at-msp-exp430g2/

a typical lcd module pcb will have a column of 5/6 resistors, they will give u some indication.

look carefully on the resistor values on the pcb. u should find 5 resistors that have the same value (2.2k / 222), they form the lcd voltage divider / bias voltage, along w/ another one which usually is 91k / 913 or 75k / 753, if it's 91k its most likely a 5v device, if it's 75k it's 3v.