43oh

Tis the season for divinity

I can make this recipe all year round... I use corn syrup from restaurant supply shops, it's a LOT thicker than that stuff you get in the grocery store.. and it comes in 5 gallon buckets (43 DE).

plenty of wax paper on the counter top near the mixing area

3 1/2 cups sugar

2/3 cup water

2/3 cup corn syrup

2 or 3 egg whites (I tend to do this one by experience... If you use eggs much you'll notice some have more egg white than others. If you get a lot of egg white out of 2 eggs, that's "ok", if you get some but not a lot... use 3, if you're not sure, use 3.)

touch of salt (I do two twists on the salt grinder with a very fine setting)

Bring corn syrup, water, and sugar to a boil, 250

Himalayan? Okay. A little extra iron never hurts, unless you're taking pre-natal vitamins.

I've never tried pink / Himalayan but I do prefer non-iodized salt over table salt, and evaporated sea salt more than pure sodium chloride.

Hard to explain but the flavor seems more natural than anything iodized- iodized always seems a tad more bitter.

Hard to explain but the flavor seems more natural than anything iodized- iodized always seems a tad more bitter.

Just make sure you get SOME iodine in your diet.  That's why salt is iodized; you need a small amount in your diet.  Though, if you eat a lot of salt, you should limit the amount of iodized since too much iodine is not good.

Just make sure you get SOME iodine in your diet.  That's why salt is iodized; you need a small amount in your diet.  Though, if you eat a lot of salt, you should limit the amount of iodized since too much iodine is not good.

More important than the quantity of "salt" consumed is keeping the ratio of sodium to potassium consistent.

But anyhow, I cook with sea salt and just a little less than I think it should have. Then regular table salt is setting there to add to the final product on the plate. Besides, there's enough salt added to the additives anyhow, and they usually are iodized.

You'll never catch me brining foul or seasoning any meat with table salt.