Sign in to follow this  
brianthecoder

Broke a pin on my msp430, unsure of which replacement to get.

Did a search on octopart to find a replacement, only problem is there are a lot of variations. This seems like a bit of an upgrade (http://components.arrow.com/part/detail/50268246S8830327N7713?region=na) but I'm unsure if I need to get a I2C/SPI interface or one with a JTAG interface. Also I was reading the Energia wiki and it mentioned that some chips have built in UART. Which one is that? I have version 1.4 of the board. Is it worth it to upgrade to 1.5 or will replacing the chip do basically the same. Trying to use this to prototype and program the chip then gonna either design a pcb or just solder it directly to a perf board. Looking forward to contributing as much as I can :D

Also, if it's just the one or two you're after, TI will supply you with a free sample - find the product page and request a sample from there.

As advised above, go for the MSP430G2553 - it's the daddy of the valueline chips.  Personally I'd get a new 1.5 Launchpad - it comes with a G2553 and one other decent spec valueline chip, and you get the redesigned layout which allows for the jumpers to be rotated for hardware or software uart.

Also, if it's just the one or two you're after, TI will supply you with a free sample - find the product page and request a sample from there.

As advised above, go for the MSP430G2553 - it's the daddy of the valueline chips.  Personally I'd get a new 1.5 Launchpad - it comes with a G2553 and one other decent spec valueline chip, and you get the redesigned layout which allows for the jumpers to be rotated for hardware or software uart.

The LP's I received had one each of 20 pin 2553 and 2452 chips.