Sign in to follow this  
Mac

Binary number format in C (CCSv4)?

G'day Gentlemen,

May I impose to ask how to use a binary number format in C in CCSv4, please? I've tried a few different formats so far but no joy (0b00000001, %00000001, and 000000001b).

Cheerful regards, Mike McLaren

You can define a function that will convert your "binary" input (long) and return a value.

BIN(00100010)

Or you can waste some time and create include file with 256 binary numbers as definitions :)

#define B00001111 0x0F

#define B00010000 0x10

etc.

Thank you very much for the reply and the link. It sounds like the binary number format isn't supported which would explain why I haven't seen it in any of the 430G' example C programs.

May I ask if the MSP430 Optimizing C/C++ Compiler v 3.1 User Guide that was referred to in that link is the language manual for the Compiler within CCSv4? Or, is there a CCSv4 Optimizing C/C++ Compiler User Guide I should be looking for, please?

Thank you again for your time and kind consideration Gentlemen.

Cheerful regards, Mike McLaren

Here's an interesting thread about this issue:

http://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/msp43016-bit_ultra-low_power_mcus/f/166/t/60157.aspx

I guess it boils down to the fact that binary representation isn't oficially supported by the C language. A couple of solutions are offered by the thread. One is that header file with all the defines already made, the other is a macro. I'm not an expert on compilers, but I'd think the header would do the job fine without wasting cpu cycles.