Sign in to follow this  
ihwild

High powered led projects multiple ones

Hi,

I've done a little searching and will continue to search more but here is what I posted on TI's website E2E.

I have three LED projects in mind (at least 3).

Project one. Drive multiple led arrays in alternating flashing and possibly solid burn patterns (3-4 hi powered 1 watt led per array  ) Solid colors (basic end result amber warning strobes for plowing vehicle) Possibly higher wattage or more led for a flood light head. Would like dimming possible

Project two similar concept but high powered rgb led's going to be used for party lights

Project three similar to this product http://www.adafruit.com/products/306  It uses some Chinese chip LPD8806 and an "SPI" like protocol to drive each RGB led . The page also mentions shift registers which I believe are on the chip to allow each led to be individually addressable. I'd like to build a matrix but getting individual leds and making my own board instead of a strip. I still want leds individual addressable and fully color controllable. The whole stripe only uses 4 pins, power, gnd, data and clock. I'd also like to see about using higher power ones.

I've been trying to read the data sheets but I'm not sure what would be the best drivers to use. I'd also prefer this was easy to implement with the least extra components as possible and for easy for someone knew to making PCB's and soldering anything smd.

Rich

Need lots of "lumens" then use lots of lights.

Need less "lumens" then use not so many lights.

Not so hard to determine and select / illuminate the number of lights (LEDs) you need.

Need lots of "lumens" then use lots of lights.

Need less "lumens" then use not so many lights.

Not so hard to determine and select / illuminate the number of lights (LEDs) you need.

I posted while I was sleepy.. It isn't really what or number of LEDs I'm looking for guidance on but drivers to run them. I'm not familiar with mounting smd components so and through hole drivers would be easier to prototype with. Or guidance on where or how to narrow down the choices when I look at the chips online. There is just so dang many of them. I do know I want to run them from at least 12 vdc even the party lights because I want them portable. The only thing on the leds that get me confused is the mcd vs lumens but I'm sure I saw a page somewhere online explaining that.

Rich