Sign in to follow this  
SugarAddict

MSP430F2274 TSSOP 38 Breakout board?

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/mtss002e/mtss002e.pdf

Am I right in reading this that the pitch is .30? Or is it the .65? It looks awfully tiny lol. Anyone know where I can get a premade board for this or would I be better off attempting to have one made [which would be a first for me]. I already have two of them, figure I might as well as try to make them useful to me.

...would I be better off attempting to have one made [which would be a first for me].

If you end up designing your own board, I highly recommend The Dorkbot/PDX order. I had some made, and they are excellent quality and cheap! (Do be sure to double-check your designs, though. :oops: )

...would I be better off attempting to have one made [which would be a first for me].

If you end up designing your own board, I highly recommend The Dorkbot/PDX order. I had some made, and they are excellent quality and cheap! (Do be sure to double-check your designs, though. :oops: )

+1

Try http://www.ezprototypes.com/index.php

If you find them reasonable enough and you find something, let us know as they advertise on the main blog.

02-AK38D400-SSOP x2 and 02-AK16D300-QFN3X3 x1 ordered. Will see how this works out... think I'm going to need a finer tip (excuse for better soldering iron) to do this. I've been working with a cheapo that has a fat tip, the Launchpad crystal was "fun" lol

And I already read about your Dorkbox order, I've got that in the back of my head for when I'm ready to try finalizing a project :)

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/mtss002e/mtss002e.pdf

Am I right in reading this that the pitch is .30? Or is it the .65? It looks awfully tiny lol. Anyone know where I can get a premade board for this or would I be better off attempting to have one made [which would be a first for me]. I already have two of them, figure I might as well as try to make them useful to me.

I don't if anybody know about the PCB service that seeestudio has, well there is another place called itead studio that has the same service but is cheaper, 12 U$S for 5x5cm boards and shipping is quite cheap if you don't mind waiting. You can order max. 10 boards and the minimum is 3 boards but as you are paying anyway the 12 U$S you should order 10.

I haven't used the service but i've heard good things about it.

I don't if anybody know about the PCB service that seeestudio has, well there is another place called itead studio that has the same service but is cheaper, 12 U$S for 5x5cm boards and shipping is quite cheap if you don't mind waiting. You can order max. 10 boards and the minimum is 3 boards but as you are paying anyway the 12 U$S you should order 10.

I haven't used the service but i've heard good things about it.

Looks like it would be US $16 for US orders ($4 shipping charge). Not bad for a quick-and-dirty. ;)

I have to stand behind Dorkbot if you need high quality, though. 5x5cm is approximately 2x2 inches; at Dorkbot, that's US$20 (shipped) for three pieces, but you only pay for the size of your board. If it's 1x1 inch, it's only $5.

The 'service' through Dokbot is a big reason I stand behind them. Laen (the guy who does the order) is very helpful, and you can submit an Eagle file (if you use Eagle, like I do), rather than generating in the multi-file Gerber format (though Laen will take those, too). Laen kept in great contact, and helped me with several revisions to my designs. The quality of the boards was absolutely top-notch (see photos in my blog post).

I might try the itead studio service at some point, but until I'm proven wrong, if I need top quality, I'll go back to Dorkbot. :D

... think I'm going to need a finer tip

I find it easier to solder with a hot fat tip and lots of flux. I lay the tin over the pins and and poke at it with my fat tip. the flux makes it stick only on the pins. Then I use copper wick to remove the excess.

If you get a too fine tip It wont heat up enough i find. that's just my opinion.

and you can submit an Eagle file (if you use Eagle, like I do), rather than generating in the multi-file Gerber format (though Laen will take those, too).

that's good to know. I've seen that most o this kind of service asks you for GERBER files and I don't really know how to make those and, what it's more important, how to make them right. INternational shipping is only 5U$S so I might try them in the future

I got my EZPrototype box today, I ordered the right stuff :-) I soldered one of the tssop's right off and got it working with spy-bi-wire to blink a led on p1.0... Guess I need to test all the pins now since I've got no magnifying glass, hehe. Price wasn't too bad and it got here fairly quick... Only thing I had fun with is that the pads are pin edge to pin edge with this chip, so I was tapping the pin tops to solder vs tapping the pin tips and pad (coming in from top instead of coming in at angle/side).

Maybe I'll take a pot shot at the qfn chip I got a board for (3x3) but not today, I'm pushing my luck :D

I'm happy :D