43oh

WiFi (CC3000) Energia Library

There is no library for Energia yet. A quick browse through the CC3000 TI library tells me that it shouln't be to hard to do. Most of the code in there will compile under Energia. I think even the SPI library that is included in it will work just fine as long as you change the interrupt vector naming (examples can be found in the Energia core libraries).

Let us know what you come up with. It would be great if this can result in a CC3000 library. W're here to help if you get stuck!

There is no library for Energia yet. A quick browse through the CC3000 TI library tells me that it shouln't be to hard to do. Most of the code in there will compile under Energia. I think even the SPI library that is included in it will work just fine as long as you change the interrupt vector naming (examples can be found in the Energia core libraries).

I haven't done anything with Energia, but there's a BSP430-based CC3000 implementation which has a much cleaner SPI module.  It should be pretty obvious how to convert it to whatever Energia uses, if the BSD license is compatible, or just use it as another reference implementation if you do need to write a custom one.

Personally, I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the CC3000 library.  The original wasn't particularly good, and service pack 1.7 was a step backwards.

Do you know if there are any cheap CC3000 boards (similar to the CC2500 ones) sold somewhere? Or is only the TI evaluation board available/

As far as I know the only CC3000 solutions are from LS Research and Murata (those are the ones sold by TI).  There's an alternative WizFi module that folks here have tried to get working, but I understand there are still hardware issues unsolved.  I'm only competent to deal with software issues so haven't volunteered to help out (though it's crossed my mind).

I'm personally interested in low-power applications, and the only chip I know of that meets my expectations has proprietary interface specifications and isn't available as a breakout so I'm SOL for my open source projects.

I'm personally interested in low-power applications, and the only chip I know of that meets my expectations has proprietary interface specifications and isn't available as a breakout so I'm SOL for my open source projects.

We can put a word out for someone to get this done. 43oh can sponsor the first batch if needed. I'll create a thread for it in the BP section.

Edit: I'll take that back. I'm not sure how to tackle this as I'm not sure if these are even available as chips on TI's website. 

Call for Designs here.

We can put a word out for someone to get this done. 43oh can sponsor the first batch if needed. I'll create a thread for it in the BP section.

Edit: I'll take that back. I'm not sure how to tackle this as I'm not sure if these are even available as chips on TI's website. 

Call for Designs here.

The WiFi chip I was referring to is the Qualcomm AR4100P SiP, and I think they're completely uninterested in supporting the hobbyist market: everything I know about it except the name is under NDA.  The CC3000 is nice on paper, probably similar to the WizFi stuff in capability, but they're not really low power and their support for control at the 802.11 layer is weak.