43oh

MSP430F5510 Breakout Board

Someone has suggested that it would be nice to have F5510 board with access to all pins, so I made one.

Unlike my F5510 Development Board, this one is not compatible with Booster Packs.

Any suggestions before I send it off to Seeeeed?

It will be available as PCB only.

Thank you. I will check and put some notes here.

Best general overview is to have board like http://forum.43oh.com/topic/1196-f5529-breakout-dev-board-now-with-pics/, 4 headers with same pin order like on chip. And all pins connected to headers. Why not to be able to measure value of VCore, and use DM/DP as normal (not USB) I/O pins. 5510 have less pins, shorter headers, smaller board. There is no need that total size of the board is bigger than 12 x 12 pin headers.

This is simple board with few components, and it can be done with only one top layer. There is no need for using bottom board side. It is not the problem to solder male headers from top side. Only needed holes on board are for headers, nothing else.

All used SMD components can be 1206 (not 805) size. Easier for soldering, and space under component can be used for another board lines (crossing).

5510 can be used by BSL, SBW and JTAG. Don't think that anybody will use 5510 with JTAG, but if it is needed, it can be connected thru origininal headers by some simple wire addapter. There is no need to have separate connector for this.

Reset pin is on left-top corner, and it is logical to put reset button on this position. It is logical to put BSL button close to USB pins, on right top corner (close to micro USB connector).

At least 2 LED's are needed. One (red) for power (VCC) indication, and another (green) connected to P1.0 for basic testing.

5510 have internal 3.3V LDO that can be used also with external supply (self powered device). For sure it is good thing to have regulator integrated on board for MSP430, but don't see any reason for this with USB chips that allready have integrated LDO.

Thanks for your feedback.

Instead of using the 4 header design, I have decided to group all ports and functions together.

So the left header has P6 and P5.

Bottom left has P1 and P2 and bottom right has all programming stuff, PJ, TEST, RST, Vcc, GND (JTAG and SBW.)

Right one has P4, Vcc and GND.

On top, you have power header (3.3V, >5V, GND) and USB related connections (PU, VBUS, VUSB, PUR.)

You can use DM and DP pins as regular IOs, just short JP5 and JP6.

The reason behind external LDO is that this board could be used in a real project. There are 2 headers that allow configuration of power supply.

The only thing that is missing is on my board is VCORE (don't think I will ever need that one) and the test LED (I will add one, but probably on P2.0 since that is the only P2 pin available.)