bluehash

One month since forum software switch - poll inside.

New Forum Software  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a couple poll questions. it's been a month since the switch(Oct 25th, 2012). I think we did well.

How I have benefited as an Admin;

- Spammers are way easier to handle. Humans do not get caught anymore.

- Backend is so smooth and quick with tons of features.

- Visually appealing

- Good support from ipboard. I get a response in under 24 hours.

- I do pay $25 for each of the three sites. Google Adsense covers that. So no issues on there.

Do you have any comments?

Good upgrade so far, although indentation in code posts is horrible (four spaces turn into full tabs, editing a post afterwards collapses all the indentation), really my only complaint. (I haven't checked this in a few days to see if anything's changed though)

I was having trouble viewing my PM's from Tapatalk previously but I just checked, and it's fine now.

I discovered 43oh quite recently and had very little experience with the previous forum.

As for the current implementation I wouldn't say it increased or decreases my commitment to the forum. The same goes for user experience.

For me the main driving factor is the community. The role of the forum software is important in the sense that is doesn't get in the way. I guess that's true for both incarnations.

As for site administration, if this version improves management, filters malicious bots/scripts/whatever and allows more feafures efficiently, that's seriously very cool!! :thumbup:

I hate all forum software. It all sucks compared to a properly managed mailing list. And to make matters worse, it is all different, so every web forum is broken in it's own unique ways. The advantage of phpBB is that for the most part I already know how to deal with it's brokenness.

When the forum software changed and stopped recognizing my password, it was a practically a month before I bothered to sign in again, and I only did that to get in on RobGs LED group buy.

Thanks guys.

- I tried to minimize password problems from the getgo. So far this is the second complaint I have received after the conversion. It was fixed, but since no one reported it, it is hard to fix.

- Notification problems still exist. I think there is a limit when you subscribe to sub-forums, rather than individual topics. If there is a lot of activity in the sub-forum, you will only get notified once. You then need to return/visit the forum to get further notifications.

I really don't like this forum over phpbb. My two complaints are the theme and how it deals with code examples.

The theme I've commented about on the stellaris forum. I wish the avatar pictures were smaller and to the right side. I liked the compact feel of the phpbb theme. With this theme it feels like there is a lot of wasted space and I'm distracted by the avatar pictures when reading posts.

As far as code, I agree with the other comments about the problems with attaching code. The two things that bother me the most is that it mangles text near '<' symbols you often find around #includes and the way it kills my code formatting removing tabs and spaces. That makes this forum useless and has discouraged me from making any code posts lately. At first I liked this forum better because you were able to include gist snippets. However, that seems to be broken. It would be nice if we could get that feature back.

I've gone from a contributor to someone who mostly reads posts from a smart phone.

-rick

I really don't like this forum over phpbb. My two complaints are the theme and how it deals with code examples.

As far as code, I agree with the other comments about the problems with attaching code. The two things that bother me the most is that it mangles text near '<' symbols you often find around #includes and the way it kills my code formatting removing tabs and spaces. That makes this forum useless and has discouraged me from making any code posts lately. At first I liked this forum better because you were able to include gist snippets. However, that seems to be broken. It would be nice if we could get that feature back.

-rick

The include problem was for code moved over during the conversion. Includes work in the new software. I just tested it here.

the editor will improve in the next forum release.

I can look into the gist issue if more people request it.

The theme I've commented about on the stellaris forum. I wish the avatar pictures were smaller and to the right side. I liked the compact feel of the phpbb theme. With this theme it feels like there is a lot of wasted space and I'm distracted by the avatar pictures when reading posts.

-rick

Fix in 3.4. Bug resolved here.