43oh

Am I frying my crystals?

I doubt you fried it, it could still be a power issue.....we all have seen odd behavior with crystals and power supplies.

To rule it out power it directly from batteries.

if that doesn't work, I will solder a 32khz crystal and send you(drive, boat down the Mississippi river) a working LP with it on there and you can figure out what you did lol

but my guess is power supply and I am sticking to it. Taking bets now!! lol

I doubt you fried it, it could still be a power issue.....we all have seen odd behavior with crystals and power supplies.

To rule it out power it directly from batteries.

if that doesn't work, I will solder a 32khz crystal and send you(drive, boat down the Mississippi river) a working LP with it on there and you can figure out what you did lol

but my guess is power supply and I am sticking to it. Taking bets now!! lol

FYI - when I was having power problems (using an old USB charger) - touching or putting my hands near the crystal/pins changed the behavior. It only worked when I was touching the LP or had my hand near it, other times it would stop working when I came near - it wasn't consistent.

I was pretty sure it wasn't the three power sources I tried but, because you guys are WAY smarter than I am on this stuff, I tried again with a battery pack (3x fresh AA alkalines, measured at 4.4VDC w/o load) hooked to the test points near the USB port - same results.

I tested my bench supply (ATX power supply converted with Dangerous Prototypes board); I'm getting 5.15VDC with no load (measured with a good Fluke DMM). I've not hooked it to my (xProtolabs) o-scope, but it looked pretty stable on the DMM.

I have ordered some cylindrical crystals from ebay (~$2.50/10 shipped) similar in size to the watch crystals that come with the LP. I'll try again in a couple of weeks when they get here.

Should I try adding capacitors in the empty spots (couldn't hurt)? What value should I try?

I really appreciate everyone's input.

don't add caps to the empty spot, use the built in cap settings. unless the value needed is not built in or you like soldering surface mount ;-)

values are usually chosen for a particular crystal.

I'll hold off then. Makes me wonder what I'll do for cap values when I get the ebay cheapos. :?