43oh

Post a pic of your home work bench, get a ..

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome! You get it then.. I have your address from your Store order.. will mail it Monday.   Another one interested in RC! I just repaired the motor shaft on my quad today:

Yeah, I figured such an awesome gift deserved a frame. ;-)

Some of you have workstation areas that I am absolutely jealous over lol. 6 screens ? Unfortunately, we're solar powered here, and running a desktop with even one screen is a no go. I run two laptops,

Posted Images

Unheated attic room, no lights, one window, one electrical outlet, 72" home built desk, piles and piles of stuff in and out of boxes, bins, bags, packets and trays, waste paper basket permanently 300% full. Window sills and shelf spaces elsewhere in the house are also liable to be colonized by bubble wrap envelopes from Hong Kong, tangles of connectors, dev boards, and transitory prototyping detritus.

Man am I jealous! I keep my stuff on a shelf over my washer/dryer. My most recent project is in a cardboard box that I haul out after the kids go to bed :)

Cardboard box? Luxury. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Sorry, couldn't help myself with the Python reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Since it came up again, and since, until recently, my space was too much in flux to even photograph (old house with 100 years of mistreatment needing some TLC), I will now add my little part of paradise to this thread

Without trying to pin the pics into the text, this is the best it gets....

first: the old setup. Bench is a BenchWorks I bought (stole?) from a neighbor when his daughter got out of college and moved back home. Into his shop (selling a couple of the bikes to make space is what killed him)..... 

HP130C is the scope. Over 50 and still going strong. Original owner bought the lifetime plan, so I had it calibrated about 20 years ago. Then, things changed at HP, and I've done it myself since then. Fluke 8000 series digital VOM and Fluke freq counter to the left. Also visible: one of the magnifiers (ring light type), parts bins with caps, carbon resistors up to 5W, high voltage caps, and assorted relics like microwave detector diodes. A couple variacs, a spark transformer, a few random analog and digital handheld VOM and clamp on meters, a bucketload of sockets (solder and wire wrap) in tubes, one of the wiremold strips mounted to the joists, and Schrodinger, the cat.

Next is the current setup. Old shop machine went belly up, so new bottom end dell, New Rigol scope for it to talk to, next revision of my home monitoring system burning in, a few assorted other things

Next is another shop view. Lathe and two of the drill presses are visible, as well as some of the machinist storage, a peek in the bottom left of the welder case, and a workbench covered with wood flooring waiting to be laid

Next, one of the random drawers of small parts. Several of them, as well as a few cardboard boxes, some fibrebuilt cases, and loose stuff. Anyone want a half dozen keyboards? AppleII, Comodore, and what else? Maybe a few Honeywell or Argus digital temp controls (K-couple or platinum)? Or an HP130C scope? I need the space....

Last two are a few of my storage solutions for regular use wood tools. Other tools get similar treatment. As much as I can, the things that don't get hot go in the joists.

Walls and ceiling are a variety of wonderful colors, legacy and my pick. Mine are the white and light grey. I won't take the blame for the others.

Lighting is 32W T8 fluorescent, approx 35000 lumens over 200 sq ft, with 18" T5 for additional lighting over the benches, drill presses, and lathe, and several 100W equivalent photoflood for task lighting. My vision is aging faster than I am.

post-30450-0-58349500-1394159522_thumb.png

post-30450-0-15096400-1394160035_thumb.png

post-30450-0-87214300-1394160187_thumb.png

post-30450-0-65693900-1394160306_thumb.png

post-30450-0-75203300-1394160541_thumb.png

post-30450-0-52512100-1394160554_thumb.png

Thanks. You don't want to see the drafting/layout room upstairs. When I bought the house, I couldn't get the CO. Inspector found it 'unfit for habitation'. Main selling point was the room upstairs. The basement was a bonus. Main drawback is 6 foot floor-to-joist clearance. I clear it, barely, but several people that helped me with major work got a few lumps. Cost me a lot of beer to get heat in and critical structural repair done. Now I need to get the garage done (collapsing due to insects and no footings) do I can set up the wood machines and a milling machine. I have no desire to deal with sawdust in the house, and I have moved a Bridgeport into a basement before. Once. In pieces. And I will never, ever, do it again.

Decent circuit board fab gear and 3-d printer will need to wait til I have money unless I find at a yard sale like most of what is in pics. I am betting on a few years saving up.

Just picked up this guy. Also, I'm refreshing with a Tek DPO2002B. Sometimes I wonder what the value is between Tek and Rigol, these days, but I guess I'm just a sentimental old fart.

Daaannnggg, if I were to purchase another piece of electronics anytime soon it would probably be something like that. I assume your trying to tune some antennas? Any plans for it beyond S11 measurements?

Edit: sorry for double post, not sure how to delete this to combine with post above...

Hmm.... where do you live again? You wouldn't miss that scope tooo much would you if it randomly went missing? :ph34r:

I'm lucky to have got it. My company was getting rid of it as the time base knob was skipping(bad encoder). I tried opening it, but the whole encoder module is sealed.

They had a raffle among 5 of us. I won. I was so excited when I got it, has awesome math functions too... even though it is 10 years old. Has a small printer too.