43oh

Post a pic of your home work bench, get a ..

I just wish I had the knowledge to repair the boards for my Dig-Dug!  I've been stuck diagnosing them for months!

He might be able to help you, but it is rather hard to diagnose / fix unless you have the board in hand ( with proper equipment to test / fix of course ).

wulfman, my buddy has taken boards in the past to repair for various other auctioneers on ebay, so maybe you could talk him into repairing yours. He would of course require that you buy any necessary parts needed, and as for payment you'd have to  talk with him about that. It might even be possible he would swap a working for a bad .. .but again I can not speak for him. He is really good at arcade board repair. I think it is possibly his favorite pass time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome! You get it then.. I have your address from your Store order.. will mail it Monday.   Another one interested in RC! I just repaired the motor shaft on my quad today:

Yeah, I figured such an awesome gift deserved a frame. ;-)

Some of you have workstation areas that I am absolutely jealous over lol. 6 screens ? Unfortunately, we're solar powered here, and running a desktop with even one screen is a no go. I run two laptops,

Posted Images

This is my "bench": my couch, my daughter's stash of lego in a box as a level for my laptop and the launchpad with a breadboard.

post-29838-0-88349900-1359291919_thumb.jpgpost-29838-0-58495900-1359291922_thumb.jpgpost-29838-0-85664300-1359291923_thumb.jpg

Here you can see my solution to using the launchpad as a programmer:

the blue rectangle is actually a DIP28 socket upside down, wires run to the breadboard, while the socket fits onto the launchpad's pins (yes, I soldered the male strips, as TI suggest, not the female headers).

Because the launchpad has a header strip of 10, then one pin "missing" and then two ground and one Vcc pin, I actually have everything I need on a single strip on the board. This way I can easily link up my launchpad and bradboard using a singe "connector".

The second pic shows my current "projects", my charlieplexing watch using an msp430g2201 (on the breadboard) and my TV_out booster (the experimenter print), the TV_out is compatible with NatureTM's TV out project, I'm busy making the code more flexible to eventually run pong on it.

The little transparent bag contains my two samples of the msp430g2231 in TSSOP package.

This is my "bench": my couch, my daughter's stash of lego in a box as a level for my laptop and the launchpad with a breadboard.

attachicon.gif20130127_132749.jpgattachicon.gif20130127_132853.jpgattachicon.gif20130127_133030.jpg

Here you can see my solution to using the launchpad as a programmer:

the blue rectangle is actually a DIP28 socket upside down, wires run to the breadboard, while the socket fits onto the launchpad's pins (yes, I soldered the male strips, as TI suggest, not the female headers).

Because the launchpad has a header strip of 10, then one pin "missing" and then two ground and one Vcc pin, I actually have everything I need on a single strip on the board. This way I can easily link up my launchpad and bradboard using a singe "connector".

The second pic shows my current "projects", my charlieplexing watch using an msp430g2201 (on the breadboard) and my TV_out booster (the experimenter print), the TV_out is compatible with NatureTM's TV out project, I'm busy making the code more flexible to eventually run pong on it.

The little transparent bag contains my two samples of the msp430g2231 in TSSOP package.

That's about how I work :)  Kitchen table, couch, ottoman - whatever is available. 

Excited to hear about the TV_out project - I've wanted to do a project like that for a while.

I use (just as NatureTM did) a 16MHz crystal and two resistors to hook up the MSP430 to a compisite receiver in the TV.

The timing is terrible, you barely have any time to do work in between the sprites (the picture is built of "sprites" of 1 pixel high and 16 pixels wide). NatureTM used static images loaded from flash, I do realtime rendering. Currently I have a "analog clock" demo running in it, but the dails take too much time to render between the 2 and the 4, and the 8 and the 10; horizontal lines require too much calculation; you have only like 1000 clock cycles in between every sprite.

Also, I cannot pre-render a whole line of pixels and do calculations only during the horizontal sync, as I only have 128 bytes of RAM available, I con't fit a whole line in it, plus it takes more calculation time than available in the sync alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking some pictures ( and finding one of my cameras ). Keep in mind, you'll see dust in some of these pictures that looks like the place hadn't been cleaned in ages . . . where in fact the place was cleaned just a few days before i took these pictures. The dust here *is* that bad yes. Waiting for grass to grow back in after lots of landscaping here. The dogs do not help either.

Arcade board work area.

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

Parts room.

DSC00081.jpgDSC00088.jpg

Whole gallery here.  1600x1200 images. So you can zoom in and inspect the dust. ;) Plus a few more images of various things around here. Charge controllers, outside shot of our building, etc.

Well the parts room, and the arcade board / rework rooms are separate rooms. parts room is a bit shorter, and i think probably close to 15 feet by 40-50 feet. rework room is easily 60 feet long( 20 meters ).

EDIT:

Actually now that I think about it, the rework room is probably closer to 50ft, and the parts room is around 35-40 ft long. The whole building is only 100ft long. I was never good at judging distance by eye . . . and never physically measured them personally. But I did help build this place.

This place is rather large. 100x80 feet.  Granted living area is only somewhere between 1/3-1/2 the building width, but two stories high. And those rooms shown take up part of the living area on the ground level. It's a great place to "play", with a wood workshop, metal lathe / mill room( opposite the rework area, other side of the wall ), and automotive/small engine work areas inside the main "shop" too. I just wish i knew how to use all of the equipment effectively . . .

That's about how I work :smile:  Kitchen table, couch, ottoman - whatever is available. 

Excited to hear about the TV_out project - I've wanted to do a project like that for a while.

Same here.  The downfalls of constantly moving and always renting....makes it hard to set up a real shop.  Luckily I have nice lab space at work/school, so most of my work at home is software.

post-28692-0-00169200-1360339152_thumb.jpg

post-28692-0-00308900-1360339158_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys, this thread has inspired me to build a proper workspace in my garage - well the small room at the back of my garage where there's a boiler, a washing machine and a sink. My CNC mill currently sits next to that sink with my 3D printer and electronics stuff in the house.

It needs to be tough enough for my small CNC mill (and maybe a lathe in the future). It needs enough space for tools, electronics stuff, my 3D printer and hopefully soon a laser cutter. My wife said she'd leave if I got a laser cutter, but as her main objection was all the "crap" in the house I figure I'll be OK once this is finished. ;-)

So far it's a very strong custom L shaped desk bolted to one wall. I'm very particular so it's flat enough to play snooker on despite the walls and floor not being straight. 18mm thick plywood top that'll soon get some vinyl floor tiles to protect the surface. Shelving both below and above the bench is going in. There will be plenty of power points above and below.

If anyone's got any suggestions for stuff they'd find useful then they could get incorporated. So far I've considered:
  • Fixing a small rack mount server under the desk as my CNC control PC.
  • A "last resort" E-stop switch that kills power to everything.
  • A woodworking bench vice on the front.

wpid-img_20130217_212613.jpg

OK - I finally got round to creating my new workspace. It's still teeny compared to yyrkoon's, but it's an improvement for me. Strong enough to stand on. As much storage as I could manage, and an e-stop that kills all mains power if something's going badly wrong. Here it is with my little CNC mill and new laser. The electronics stuff is up on the shelves at the moment, and the 3D printer in still in the house.

I checked with my wife that "in theory if there was a laser cutter in the garage and you wouldn't see it then that might be ok". It was ordered within 15 minutes and delivered within 2 days. She's convinced that I'd already ordered it but hasn't left me. To be honest I didn't realise quite how large it was and that it would take up most of my new "huge" workbench. It's fun though - especially as it's been converted to Mach3 rather than the dreadful software and stepper controller it came with.