43oh

Post a pic of your home work bench, get a ..

Nice to see others into the cnc stuff. It's very addictive once you get started! I've got a small cnc mill (for PCBs initially) and a 3d printer that I won in a competition. My wife has threatened to leave me if I get a laser cutter. I can't decide between improving a cheap Chinese 40w machine or building a 2.x one from scratch via buildlog.net.

@ Fred - Yeah, Wives and CNCs stuff don't mix. My friend ordered a Chinese 40w Laser cutter but it came with a broken tube, waiting for a replacement, I will post some test result if I can go over and test it.

@GeekDoc - "I HOPE" haha.. dont thin I have the space for it and like Fred, wife wont be happy.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Awesome! You get it then.. I have your address from your Store order.. will mail it Monday.   Another one interested in RC! I just repaired the motor shaft on my quad today:

Yeah, I figured such an awesome gift deserved a frame. ;-)

Some of you have workstation areas that I am absolutely jealous over lol. 6 screens ? Unfortunately, we're solar powered here, and running a desktop with even one screen is a no go. I run two laptops,

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
OK guys, this thread has inspired me to build a proper workspace in my garage - well the small room at the back of my garage where there's a boiler, a washing machine and a sink. My CNC mill currently sits next to that sink with my 3D printer and electronics stuff in the house.

It needs to be tough enough for my small CNC mill (and maybe a lathe in the future). It needs enough space for tools, electronics stuff, my 3D printer and hopefully soon a laser cutter. My wife said she'd leave if I got a laser cutter, but as her main objection was all the "crap" in the house I figure I'll be OK once this is finished. ;-)

So far it's a very strong custom L shaped desk bolted to one wall. I'm very particular so it's flat enough to play snooker on despite the walls and floor not being straight. 18mm thick plywood top that'll soon get some vinyl floor tiles to protect the surface. Shelving both below and above the bench is going in. There will be plenty of power points above and below.

If anyone's got any suggestions for stuff they'd find useful then they could get incorporated. So far I've considered:

• Fixing a small rack mount server under the desk as my CNC control PC.
  • A "last resort" E-stop switch that kills power to everything.
  • A woodworking bench vice on the front.

If anyone's got any suggestions for stuff they'd find useful then they could get incorporated. So far I've considered:
  • Fixing a small rack mount server under the desk as my CNC control PC.
  • A "last resort" E-stop switch that kills power to everything.
  • A woodworking bench vice on the front.

Fred, I used a miniITX PC for my CNC PC (running mach3), mounted under the desk, wall mounted monitor to save space. I have 2 E-stop, 1 is a Soft E-stop hooked up to the PC controlled by Mach3, the other hooked up to the main power system which the Motors and steppers and controller are connected to.

GRRRR! What do you do with all those screens?

TBH, waiting on longer cables for two of them.

Plan is:

15" #1: Win7 box screen 3 spare input (for working on other boxes)

15" #2: Win7 box screen 4 spare input (for working on other boxes)

15"#3: Linux (server/experimental) box main screen

19": Win7 box main screen

22": Win7 box screen 2 Linux box screen 2

The three 15" monitors are all "dumpster saves". They needed minor repairs, but after finding 5-6 in the dumpster, I had enough parts to get three working (one has small crack in screen).  Mounts are from monoprice.com (HIGHLY recommended for monitor/TV mounts and cables!).

Some of you have workstation areas that I am absolutely jealous over lol. 6 screens ? Unfortunately, we're solar powered here, and running a desktop with even one screen is a no go. I run two laptops, one which is my "dev machine" that is (cough) *infected* with JRE,. Where the other is my main system that does everything *else* but run JRE ( including RDP into the dev machine. ). In case it is not obvious already, I am not a big fan of anything Java.

On the electronics workbench stuff, my buddy has an electronics "area" that spans 3 rooms. Each room being roughly 12' x 40' +. One room dedicated to electronic parts alone. One room for arcade board repair / boards to be repaired. The other room being kind of his living quarters / workstation area. Most people who come and visit do not say much other than "holy ****!". I'll take some pictures and post them up when i get the chance.