RobG

[Group Buy-11] [C] RGB LED Strips (with WS2811)

The biggest pain was packing this stuff and international shipping (forms.) I am ordering some small boxes just in case I decide to do another GB.

Hope you're ordering from USPS.  They'll send you priority or express shipping boxes and customs forms for free.  (store.USPS.com -> Shop -> Get Mailing & Shipping Supplies).

I need something smaller, something that can fit in a 6" x 9" first class envelope, 5" x 7" x 0.75" would be perfect (in the last GB, I used few DVD cases since they are similar in size.)

I need something smaller, something that can fit in a 6" x 9" first class envelope, 5" x 7" x 0.75" would be perfect (in the last GB, I used few DVD cases since they are similar in size.)

Hope you're ordering from USPS.  They'll send you priority or express shipping boxes and customs forms for free.  (store.USPS.com -> Shop -> Get Mailing & Shipping Supplies).

I may be able to help this GB if you are ok with it or want to split the shipping process.

I have 200 padded enveloped coming in tomorrow 8*6"  and  also use Endicia for postage to process international custom forms. I'll do it if there is a limit of 15 orders.

Got my PCBs in the mail. Thanks for the caps Rob really appreciate you including those!

Same here. Can't wait to try 'em out.  Fortunately, I have three more days before I go back to work. :thumbup:

Has anyone tried these with a 3.3V power supply on the MSP430 (and 5V, or around 5.2V USB on the LED strip)?  They work great at 3.6V (from the LP board), but 3.3V (tried 2 different LDO's so far) no go.... until I jumper Vcc from my LP board over to my project, then it magically drives them correctly.  Otherwise the LEDs just don't respond, or if they do it's flaky (first ~4-7 LEDs light up and often with the wrong colors)

Level shifters required here I guess?

How many in your series/strip?  Maybe that makes a difference.

I've used 30 fully powered off the Vcc pin on the LaunchPad, and from TP2 (5V - USB); the only difference was brightness.  However, when I hooked up to my 4M strip, I got results similar to yours.

The unreliable operation may be due to the voltage dropping below 3.3 volts. The current draw is aprox 1.45 amps per 30 LEDs for full on white. This is far beyond what the LP voltage regulator can supply and also beyond the spec for a single ordinary USB port.

Using 26 of them, powered direct from USB5V, none being asked to drive at full brightness (maybe full for R, G, or B at any one time) and the G2553 powered by a TPS78233 off that same rail. Using larger traces for 5V. Introducing 3.6V to the MSP430 separately using jumper wires from the LP makes it work, the LEDs all light up and switch color every ~30sec. Without that it doesn't, but the multimeter shows 3.333V on the chip so it should be running. I did slap the LA on there and saw correct signals coming out of P1.0. No 'scope here unfortunately.

Then again 3.3V is under 70% of 5.2V and 3.6V is pretty close... that's why I'm wondering about level shifting...

Sent from my C3PO via Tapatalk