43oh

MSP430 Sewable - any interest?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are the finished scarves.  I'll upload some closer pictures tonight, including some shots of the board.   The conductive thread was definitely interesting.  What I ordered from Sparkfun does se

Ok - here are a couple more pictures.     Boards with a US nickel as a reference.     WS2811 integrated 5050 RGB LED boards (Thanks to RobG)     FYI - the eagle part that RobG provided had

Boards came today!  

Posted Images

Did you tinplate the flames? Becausde I see one board with "golden" flames, and one iwth "silver" flames.

Now I think of it, one could make awesome art by just soldercoating some flames, while leaving others goldcoated. You could make nice effects this way :smile:

The main boards are HASL which is silver.  The LED boards are ENIG from OSHPark which is gold.  You could probably do a board in ENIG and then add solder to make some silver.  

• 2 weeks later...

Should hopefully have an update before too long.  I finally got the base for the project completed, new boards from OSHPark for the 5050's with longer pads as well as smaller boards for 0805's.  We'll see how this goes :smile:

FYI - for anyone who picked up the stainless steel thread - adafruit posted this video on their Google+ feed yesterday.  Apparently it doesn't knot well -  they suggest clear nail polish to help hold the knot.  I saw another post on their feed where they used silver crimp beads and soldered it to the board, but I didn't really like the finished look.

• 3 weeks later...

This is cool.  Any ideas for projects using these that don't involve LEDs?

Maybe some sort of radio transmitter integrated into one's clothes?  Perhaps a shirt that senses the temperature of the skin and automatically warms you in places you are cold (like those electric socks you can buy, except it shuts off in certain areas when too warm)?

I've thought of a couple.  Accelerometers for motion sensing.  I was thinking of some sort of sleep analysis, but it could be applied to sports as well.  Haptic feedback would be an interesting add-on as well.  I've seen several wearable projects related to accessibility (using proximity sensors for the blind, etc.).  

The adafruit blog does "Wearable" posts every wednesday that has a lot of projects - http://www.adafruit.com/blog/category/wearables/.  Unfortunately - most of it is pretty impractical :)  They do have a GPS add-on that looks pretty neat, but I'd guess it doesn't last very long on battery power.

I like the heated clothing idea - a jacket or fleece with a built-in thermostat.  My wife (who is perpetually cold) would totally go for that.

You know, I never really thought of sewables as something very interesting, but this is actually very cool!

What I was imagining though was this circuit board  sewn into fabric with led's attached to the PCB its self. Not very imaginative of me I know. You should be able to get some very interesting light patterns going too.

Great work!

As an aside, I wonder how difficult it would be to create light patterns with this based on ambient sounds. What I am thinking here, is something along the lines of a person being in a dance club, with clothing  lighting up based on music playing in the background.

Here are the finished scarves.  I'll upload some closer pictures tonight, including some shots of the board.

The conductive thread was definitely interesting.  What I ordered from Sparkfun does seem to have issues if bent too much.  It doesn't break - it develops kinks that can become hard to pull through, so I had to be careful not to get it twisted too much.  Once I figured that out - it was pretty simple.  I honestly don't know how far you could run the thread - but I've seen projects with traces running several feet.  The thread seems pretty tough too - I'm not overly worried about my kids breaking it.

**edit - forgot to attach files**

post-1690-0-76494700-1358951455_thumb.jpg