43oh

MSP430 Sewable - any interest?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are the finished scarves.  I'll upload some closer pictures tonight, including some shots of the board.   The conductive thread was definitely interesting.  What I ordered from Sparkfun does se

Ok - here are a couple more pictures.     Boards with a US nickel as a reference.     WS2811 integrated 5050 RGB LED boards (Thanks to RobG)     FYI - the eagle part that RobG provided had

Boards came today!  

Posted Images

Hopefully RobG runs another GB - I'm definitely going to have to get more of those if they work out on my project.

I will after Xmas.

I am also making tiny RGB LED boards, but it's more for hanging string application, like xmas lights. It has LEDs on both sides, so it's (almost) 360 deg. They will be connected with 3 wire ribbon cable. One side version could be used for wearable applications.

post-73-0-23231700-1354493125_thumb.png

Another thought about something else....

If you're not against doing multi-layer clothing, using the eyelets on shoes to capture LED's might work: I just checked my wife's boots and the shoe-string eyelets are just large enough to capture a 5mm LED; some CA glue or something might be needed to hold it firm though.

I've been looking for something like this, but in a 32.768 (can't find one) - although the micro-crystal that the LP comes with would probably be smaller - I may just go with that.

After the issues with inductors with Tayda last time - I'm going to stay away from designing boards around their parts :smile:

This is why you tend to see BOMs that specify "Murata, Panasonic, or Coilcraft only" for inductors.  Caps, basically the same.  Generally speaking, avoid anything that comes from a company headquartered in China.

Yeah - learned the hard way with that one.  The supplier swapped out a different part.  

Lesson learned though - other than the RGB led's from RobG - all parts are coming from Digikey.  

BTW - I did a quick check of the components on a print-out of the gerbers.  The crystal looks like it's a bit bigger than the micro-crystals that TI sourced, but they should still fit on the footprint.  I may make it a bit larger if I do another run.  Everything else looked good.  

attachicon.gifG2230-RGBv4-P.png

Will order a set and see how it goes :smile:

Looks good SA.  Those should be pretty easy to cut by hand.  What thickness did you order?  I noticed that Seeed doesn't show a different price for different board thicknesses anymore

That's pretty cool... small piece of copper tubing soldered to the ends... That would be easy to make.

I did some searching - apparently they use Crimping beads.  I ordered some last week.  It was a bit tricky, but I was able to make one with an 0805 LED in about 5 minutes.  There's a tutorial on making a jig on instructables - but toothpicks helped when I was making just one.  

I will after Xmas.

I am also making tiny RGB LED boards, but it's more for hanging string application, like xmas lights. It has LEDs on both sides, so it's (almost) 360 deg. They will be connected with 3 wire ribbon cable. One side version could be used for wearable applications.

attachicon.gifrgb360pixel.png

Sounds cool Rob!  I've always wondered - what do you do with all those LEDs?   :-o

BTW - I did a quick check of the components on a print-out of the gerbers.  The crystal looks like it's a bit bigger than the micro-crystals that TI sourced, but they should still fit on the footprint.  I may make it a bit larger if I do another run.  Everything else looked good.  

If you need a small crystal, there are some very small SMT devices.  Here is the Digikey listing for the part I use in space-limited designs. 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ABS05-32.768KHZ-T/535-11899-1-ND/3508067

I will after Xmas.

attachicon.gifrgb360pixel.png

Put some plated holes in those connectors and they'd work as sewables.

I bought a 30' bobbin of conductive thread on SparkFun's Black Friday free shipping offer to give some of these a try. 

I also found silver-plated crimping beads on ebay.  I'm pretty sure they can't screw those up, no matter how cheap they are. ;-)

Would you consider that hand solderable? I considered something small like that but wasn't sure I could get it on the board. 0805 SMD caps is the smallest I've gone. Not sure if that would be about the same.

This is roughly 0603 size.  It took me about 4 hours to get a feel to soldering 0402, although a microscope is an absolute necessity.  Honestly, you don't need the finest solder or the best iron -- or the best microscope -- but a microscope makes it possible.

For the record, I have a binocular "Amscope" with an LED lamp.  I suspect it's an asian POS, but it's good enough to solder 0402.  I also use lead-based solder, which is much, much better than non-lead solder.

This is roughly 0603 size.  It took me about 4 hours to get a feel to soldering 0402, although a microscope is an absolute necessity.  Honestly, you don't need the finest solder or the best iron -- or the best microscope -- but a microscope makes it possible.

For the record, I have a binocular "Amscope" with an LED lamp.  I suspect it's an asian POS, but it's good enough to solder 0402.  I also use lead-based solder, which is much, much better than non-lead solder.

I don't use one for that...  :-o

It's not necessarily the size that I'm worried about - it's how it has to be soldered.  Caps, LEDs, etc. have contacts on the side and pads typically extend beyond the device.  That crystal looks like it only has pads on the bottom - would it still  be possible to do this by hand without reflow?  I wouldn't want to make it mandatory because you'd be losing pins (although I could switch to the 28 pin IC).

My intention is to make this as close to a regular LP as possible - so people would have the option to put it on themselves if they want.  0603 is probably inaccessible for a lot of people.

That being said - I'm considering whether I shouldn't just take off the crystal footprint and try to make this a lot smaller.  Other than software RTC possibly - I'm not really sure what use people will have for a crystal on an e-textile project - especially with a calibrated IC like the 2553.

Put some plated holes in those connectors and they'd work as sewables.

I bought a 30' bobbin of conductive thread on SparkFun's Black Friday free shipping offer to give some of these a try. 

I also found silver-plated crimping beads on ebay.  I'm pretty sure they can't screw those up, no matter how cheap they are. ;-)

I picked up a spool of their 50' thin thread ($9) on the same day - the free shipping was hard to pass up.  I was kind of surprised at the small number of places that sell conductive thread.  If this picks up - it's probably worth seeing if we can find a supplier for a large spool and breaking it up for a GB.  Sparkfun sells large spools, but they're plated silver, not stainless - the silver kind tarnishes over time and apparently adds resistance.

Like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-Widefield-Binocular-Inspection-Microscope/dp/B005C75IVM/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

(Blue, feel free to replace with affiliate link.)