43oh

MSP430 Sewable - any interest?

I've been thinking for a couple of months about working on a sewable MSP430 board, something like the LilyPad Arduino (I notice that a PIC variant popped up on HaD today). I think it would be a great way to get my kids a little more involved in electronics. So my question is - would anyone on the forums be interested? It would be SMD components - but I'm sticking with 0805 because reflow would be a whole other project.

I'll probably go ahead with it anyway, but would be spurred on if somebody else is interested.

Also - is there some sort of standard format for a SBW programming header/pads that I need? I figured 4 pads would be enough, but wasn't sure if there was a common footprint.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are the finished scarves.  I'll upload some closer pictures tonight, including some shots of the board.   The conductive thread was definitely interesting.  What I ordered from Sparkfun does se

Ok - here are a couple more pictures.     Boards with a US nickel as a reference.     WS2811 integrated 5050 RGB LED boards (Thanks to RobG)     FYI - the eagle part that RobG provided had

Boards came today!  

Posted Images

Might be a good way to reach 50% of the population.
- That's kind of why I was asking - I figured it's mostly guys on the board. Not sure how many of you are up to sewing. However - I have two girls. My daughter has loved soldering the couple of times she has tried it - but she'd go nuts over a pillow or hat with blinking LEDs.

eZ-430 is sort of the de facto standard 4/6 pin pinout.
- Thanks - I'll take a look. Might be a lot of space, but 0.05" spacing would mitigate that. I'm also looking at spring-loaded pins so that no headers have to be soldered on the device, but that means more expensive parts - it's more accessible if people just need male headers.

I did notice that the new Stellaris boards have a 6 pin footprint with some surrounding holes for programming. They're pads, so it's obviously something spring-loaded. Looks an awful lot like this (PDF Link).

Also take a look at the Adafruit Flora for inspiration.

That is kind of what piqued my interest lately. I've been looking at the schematics for the LilyPad for how they added the pads in Eagle - and there are some great boards that have spurred some ideas. One of the downsides I see - the Flora is USB-programmable since it's Arduino. I don't think there's any easy way to do that with an MSP430.

Freaking hilarious. I just bought the material Tuesday to make a wall hanging quilt with sewn in leds. Still have to make the led and control board designs, had some simple stuff in mind I could hide with side pockets/lips in the quilting so only the leds would be visible other than a wall plug.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

I was going to use the thick conductive thread for 3v3 and gnd on the leds while having it be the visible line connecting stars. Probably use gnd on the visible parts and 3v3 inside. I did ponder using button snaps to connect the led boards to the wires... not sure on what I feel like attempting yet. Still working on that :)

all my recent designs use a VCC GND TEST RESET header,

would you use a thicker or thinner pcb thickness?

power source is the biggest problem in my eyes as i prefer those coin cells, unfortunately they dont provide much power for 99999 leds in a tshirt. pocket battery? jst connector?

All of the sewable boards say they're thin so that they don't add bulk to the fabric. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

I've attached a first board test. It's missing a lot of components (power LED, power switch, etc) - but I've created a pad and aligned them to a 5mm diameter board.

A JST connector is probably a good idea for LiPo - but we'd have to add parts to step down the voltage since it's above what the MCU will tolerate. The Flora uses a JST connector, but the LilyPad has an external LiPo board.

post-1690-0-63557100-1353043590_thumb.png