Sign in to follow this  
eskimobob

WinGDB

While searching for answers to my Insight problem, I came across http://www.wingdb.com which is a Visual Studio add in to allow debugging via GDB.

I've just tried it - it works partially in that it will talk to msp430-gdbproxy and start my code running but it will not debug. I am pretty sure this is because it is designed to work with GDB version 6.8 upwards whereas the version og GDB with MSPGCC is 5.1.1.

Has anyone else had any luck with WinGDB?

nice find, thanks for posting.

although i had similar setup (gcc toolchain under linux), i never use insight, seldom use gdb and for the very few debugging sessions i just use mspdebug.

i guess there is no need for me to get very serious into debugging when my projects are small ( < 2k launchpad). but will try and see if i got similar issues (variable type) doing gdb command line.

After bashing my head off the wall a lot today, I managed to get MSPGCC4 working and that comes with GDB version 6.8 which is compatible with WinGDB.

I have just got WinGDB working and it looks very promising. I am now able to debug the MSP430 from within Visual Studio using all the power that Visual Studio provides (object inspection, intellisense etc).

It is not free open source but the cost is just $59 which seems to be very good value indeed so I will probably go ahead and buy a licence to upgrade from the trial version.

Very happy bunny ;-)

It is not free open source but the cost is just $59 which seems to be very good value indeed

I'm now seeing $109.  Has it gone up that much or is there some other way to get a better price?

Hi, 

I almost finished with the implementation of MSP430 support in EmBlocks. EmBlocks is a free multi embedded platform. 

The next EmBlocks release, 1.32 will have a GDB 7.6 for MSP in the installation package. If everything is ready it should work out of the box with mspgcc. Right now everything is ready and the debugger works and the gdbproxy is launched automatically. The assembler/disassembly is syntax highlighted. 

The only thing I have to solve is how to reset the device with gdbproxy. Right now I write $pc to the start ( 0x8000) but this is not how it should.

Thanks

EmBlocks:

http://www.emblocks.org

I will answer my own question.

I found the MSP430 dll development download and there was a full description with examples. So, yes, I have to implement that reset command in GDBproxy++ as an additional monitor command (GDB server rCmnd).