Sign in to follow this  
thanhtran

MSP430F5510 warms with RST pin pulled low

I played with a MSP430F5510 over the weekend and had a problem: The chip got really warmed (too warm, touchable, but not burning hot) when I connected 4 pins (PWR, GND, RST, TEST) to a programming dongle (from the Chronos watch or from the EZ2500RF board). I checked everything and did see any short, or wrong polarity. CCS is able to flash some code into the F5510 chip in this condition, but it was slow and really warm (almost uncomfortable to hold my finger flat on it). I couldn't verify if it worked or not since I didn't have any test code, and the circuit wasn't complete (Just the chip on a break out board on a breadboard.). It didn't get warm/hot if I just connected GND and Vcc. The current draw in this condition was only 0.7mA. It only warmed up when I plugged the programming dongle with all 4 above mentioned pins.

Then I looked around to see how people connect their F5510 in circuit and notice that they all have a resistor 47K connecting RST pin to Vcc. So I tried adding this resistor from RST pin to Vcc, and to my suprised the chip now stays cool even if I plugged the programming dongle to my circuit. The programming is smooth and fast now.

If I now connect this 47K from RST to GND, the MSP430F5510 also gets hot, so back to Vcc it goes.

I tried a code that flashes an LED on P1.0 and it worked. So the chip is still alive, I think.

But is the chip supposed to get so warmed when the reset pin is hold low? Any idea?

Thanks

-Thanh

Your board might have a flaw. I have never experienced this, exactly, but I have had similar experiences with faulty boards. I have a broken EXP5529 board, so even if it's from TI, it doesn't mean it is flawless.

Anyway, always buy two boards. :)

During making of my first MSP430F5510 p2p board (http://forum.43oh.com/topic/2775-msp430-usb-benchmark/) I made mistake with self/bus powered option, selected by jumpers. Later I found the source of the problem and it was fixed, but chip was already damaged. After this, it was able to flash and execute program like on any other non damaged device, but chip was hot (almost) all the time.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I was working on a breadboard & wires, and have checked several times but didn't see anything wrong with the wiring and connections. I'm working on a real PCB now so hopefully can see if it happens again. As of now, I can flash some LEDs from the code, but the USB doesn't enumerate.

@Jazz, your board with wires look amazingly beautiful.

Thanks

-thanh

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I was working on a breadboard & wires, and have checked several times but didn't see anything wrong with the wiring and connections. I'm working on a real PCB now so hopefully can see if it happens again. As of now, I can flash some LEDs from the code, but the USB doesn't enumerate.

@Jazz, your board with wires look amazingly beautiful.

Thanks

-thanh

MSP430F5510 will not work with USB BSL sample code, because it is prepared/compiled for MSP430F5529. For using original TI USB stack with MSP430F5510, some small modification to source code are needed because by default it is prepared for MSP430F5529. Try my benchmark packet with MSP430F5510, it will enumerate.