43oh

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buy @ The 43oh Store.   So I got a couple samples of the F5172 (has 5V-tolerant I/Os, 32KB flash + 2KB SRAM, Timer_D can run up to 256MHz with FLL) this past summer and had nothing to do with them.

Redesigned it with a much better XTAL layout.   Other changes: SW1 P2.7 now sources its pullup from VIO rather than 3V3, since P2.7 happens to be one of the VIO-driven (i.e. 5V-tolerant) I/O pins.  

Posting both FT232RL and FT230XS variations:     F5172 LaunchPad draft3_0 (FT232RL)-   Schematic: DipTrace Schematic - F5172_LaunchPad_draft3_FT232RL.pdf OSHpark gerbers: OSH_43oh_F5172_draft3_0

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Next batch on the way... 1 board already toast :-( but 1 fully populated & tested with test firmware running, FTDI UART functional and all LP header pins showing correct voltages.  This one had all its passives & USB connector soldered via lead-based solder paste + my new reflow skillet, the only hiccup was a bad joint on one of the USB pins b/c the pin itself was sitting a bit higher than the rest, some flux + hand work with the iron fixed that up.  Going to try to do the ICs with the reflow process although this will be tricky since I don't have a stencil, but I'll probably go over them all with solder braid to make sure any shorts are cleaned up.

If this setup goes a lot faster particularly with the ICs too, I should be able to crank these boards out a bit quicker.  The PTH headers are all done by hand though but that's not too bad, honestly if I can use reflow for all the SMD components then that will go fast especially since I have an old board I can use as a PTH header guide...

post-15991-0-66791700-1371176632_thumb.jpg

Well darn.  Just learned an expensive lesson tonight.

Apparently solder paste is composed of tiny balls of solder mixed with flux ... when applied, take GREAT CARE not to let it smear places where it may cause bridging or you can't get to it.  My technique for applying the solder paste to the F5172 pads was a bit haphazard in retrospect; I put a little on there and spread it around.  Figured the paste between the pads would move to the pads due to the flux.  Nope, not all of it did.  Lots of micro-solder bridges between IC pins.  The tipoff was when I tested the pushbutton in the demo to disable the S.O.S. output on the white LED, the white LED didn't go completely out but glowed slightly.  Voltage bleed-over from the adjacent pads.  Tried all kinds of stuff, flux + iron, flux + 30ga wire + iron sweeping it out, thoroughly cleaned and dried to make sure it wasn't my flux causing the problem, nada.  Still tiny voltage bleed-overs.  I bet some of these bridges are happening underneath the IC where my 30ga wire-wrapping wire can't get to it.

So I'm not going to sell any of these through the store, just going to keep them for projects.  Probably won't use them all so I guess I'll test to see which appear best and junk the rest.  Total of 9 built out.  Gotta get another PCB order going although I'll be making some minor tweaks to the pads et al to help assist with this problem in the future (probably going to forego the use of paste with the F5172 and just pre-tin the pads + noclean flux and see how well that works).

Did you try to bake them just a little longer and/or at a slightly higher temp?

Multiple times, yeah.  Not tonight, but when I first did them.  Problem is they have the PTH headers fully soldered so it won't work with my skillet setup...

So I think to be on the safe side I am going to relegate the use of solder paste to passives/simple stuff (so long as I'm not using a stencil to apply it).  Knock on wood, a set of FTDI FT230X boards I did today turned out well although I was using a simple straight bead of solder paste (no smearing) and followed up thoroughly with flux + copper braid afterwards.

• 2 months later...
Hi, i received a sample of the F5172 and tried to tried to flash the microcontroller and received this message: 

"MSP430: Trouble writing memory block at 0x8000 on page 0 of length 0xb4: could not erase device memory".

What is the problem? I'm using a generic MSP430FET UIF (works fine with the G2553 and 2955 that i tested).

Thanks.