post-15991-0-91354300-1363230860_thumb.png

Bottom:

post-15991-0-64061800-1363230866_thumb.png

Schematic: DipTrace Schematic - F5172_LaunchPad_draft4.pdf

OSHpark gerbers: OSH_F5172LP_draft4_0.zip

Seeed/ITead/Elecrow gerbers: Elecrow_F5172LP_draft4_0_5x10.zip

Errors: Labels for 5V and GND in the upper right region are reversed

RefDes C14 and R8 are reversed

TXD/RXD LEDs are backwards when a brand new FT230X is installed; reprogramming the FT230's EEPROM can fix that

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buy @ The 43oh Store.   So I got a couple samples of the F5172 (has 5V-tolerant I/Os, 32KB flash + 2KB SRAM, Timer_D can run up to 256MHz with FLL) this past summer and had nothing to do with them.

Redesigned it with a much better XTAL layout.   Other changes: SW1 P2.7 now sources its pullup from VIO rather than 3V3, since P2.7 happens to be one of the VIO-driven (i.e. 5V-tolerant) I/O pins.  

Posting both FT232RL and FT230XS variations:     F5172 LaunchPad draft3_0 (FT232RL)-   Schematic: DipTrace Schematic - F5172_LaunchPad_draft3_FT232RL.pdf OSHpark gerbers: OSH_43oh_F5172_draft3_0

Posted Images

Never used the eZ430 pinout myself, don't have any of its headers.  That might've been a decent alternative solution but I always forget about it since I never use it.

At least you have the TI JTAG (FET) interface on it. :grin:

The ez430 would allow you to use a regular launchpad for the programmer (a bit more easily) as it has the 6pin 1.27mm pins built in (just not the header) then again adding the femal connector on your end I'm uncertain what part they are off the top of my head (sad indeed). I obtained 6 pin to 6 pin female to female flex cables for doing this sort of thing for a msp430F5341 board (work related). The only issue with that is then you have the pins mirroed on the other end if you aren't careful (sigh). So you need the female header (heh). the Part SL127l6th I'm not sure who makes (I know I have 10 of them is all hrmm need to look into this). Unfortunately the pin out is definately not the same as the lauchpad.

Anyhow I ramble ... (nothing new I guess)

Cyb

At least you have the TI JTAG (FET) interface on it. :grin:

The ez430 would allow you to use a regular launchpad for the programmer (a bit more easily) as it has the 6pin 1.27mm pins built in (just not the header) then again adding the femal connector on your end I'm uncertain what part they are off the top of my head (sad indeed). I obtained 6 pin to 6 pin female to female flex cables for doing this sort of thing for a msp430F5341 board (work related). The only issue with that is then you have the pins mirroed on the other end if you aren't careful (sigh). So you need the female header (heh). the Part SL127l6th I'm not sure who makes (I know I have 10 of them is all hrmm need to look into this). Unfortunately the pin out is definately not the same as the lauchpad.

Anyhow I ramble ... (nothing new I guess)

Cyb

Yeah in addition to that, I recall seeing a review by Jeri Ellsworth about the eZ430 where she mentioned plugging it in backwards can cause some nastyness (are Vcc & GND on opposite ends?), so that's another hit against the interface IMO.

In either way, I kinda like my configuration here and the only awkward thing is how it makes the launchpad sit funny when it's not attached, but if you use stackable headers that problem goes away.  The TI FET430UIF interface & tool is the only tool officially supported by TI for that chip anyhow.  That interface is wired SBW too btw, not 4-wire JTAG.

Yeah in addition to that, I recall seeing a review by Jeri Ellsworth about the eZ430 where she mentioned plugging it in backwards can cause some nastyness (are Vcc & GND on opposite ends?), so that's another hit against the interface IMO.

In either way, I kinda like my configuration here and the only awkward thing is how it makes the launchpad sit funny when it's not attached, but if you use stackable headers that problem goes away.  The TI FET430UIF interface & tool is the only tool officially supported by TI for that chip anyhow.  That interface is wired SBW too btw, not 4-wire JTAG.

If you ever get bored try looking at this document from TI, section 1.2.3 covers the spy-bi-wire interface and timing.

The high level API for the FET (msp430xxx.dll) is designed to work through the USB CDC com portinterface. They did this primarily to create linux compatibility with the interface. It is too expensive and legally difficult to use a proprietary driver for devices like that so they choose to reduce the propretary end of things. 

Cyb

I don't think it's set up for that.  It's meant to either use the TI LaunchPad as its SBW programmer, or use a FET430UIF tool to program it over SBW (it does NOT have a SBW programmer built in!).  I understand there's some resistor you're supposed to incorporate when doing security fuse blow with the FET430UIF and I didn't include any of that.  I intended this to be an eval/dev board for the F5172 so the user can go design a circuit around the chip.

@@bluehash

It can!  It actually "mounts" on top of the v1.5 LaunchPad with the two 1x3 female headers that ships with it...

Quick list for the store (til I get the wiki page going):

- Programmed from MSP430 LaunchPad v1.5 or TI MSP-FET430UIF via SBW

- 32KB flash, 2KB SRAM

- 40-pin LaunchPad layout supports 5V, Analog In, Timer_D outputs

- MCU has some 5V-capable I/O ports with 20mA drive capability

- Port Mapper supports remapping functions to different ports including the 5V-capable ones

- Timer_D peripheral can run up to 256MHz for high-resolution PWM

- 150mA 3.3V LDO voltage regulator supplies the Vcc line from 5V rail

- FTDI FT230X provides easy-to-use high-speed serial I/O with your PC

- Onboard LEDs include high-brightness white LED on a 5V-capable PWM port along with a blue LED on a 3.3V-only port

- Board supports SMD tuning fork crystal or high-frequency PTH crystal with external load capacitors