43oh

Thanks for the info!  Not sure I care to put myself through designing in the TUSB and F1612 along with its EEPROM lol.... but this is a good caveat to keep in mind.  The F5172 LP can be powered separately by removing the LP_PWR jumper and appropriating a second USB cable to it (bonus is you can SBW debug the program while receiving/sending UART data via the FTDI that way)

But on the subject of current limiting switch, do you have any parts in mind for that?

If you get the Dual UART FTDI part I suppose you can emulate the FET with the extra UART, they use the TUSB3410 built in C51 serial port to do that with the RX/TX pins. The TUSB2410 itself connects to the msp430f1612 to do the rest. Need a few IO points and RAM for handling all the SBW stuff. The FTDI parts can likely be directly used to do SBW and or JTAG as TI does have some documentation of how SBW works, the special synchronise modes you can operate the FTDI parts in are commonly used in most USB JTAG debuggers. My ATMEL JTAG unit for the AT91 series has an FTDI part in it (yep) let me put it this way.

Actually although it would not be the TI FET, they open sourced some of the FET api stuff. So you might be able to port some of the FET interface to the FTDI and make drivers. That in itself is a bit of a project however. Heh :D

Short circuit protection

TI has a whole bunch of these guys, the TPS22942 may work just fine for currentl limiting, it has an open collector output to indicate an over current condition and trips "100ma" (actually 140ma). You can control it's FET output. with an input. So you have indication control and a relatively good current limit threshold. Perhaps as a side project you can make an indicating 'circuit' breaker using an MSP430 using it! (yes that's getting a BIT carried away but it would cool). Let me see 1 control output, 1 interrupt input with pull up (built into the port thank goodness), you can drive the output to a green LED and the input to the current limiter, then when the OC output of the current limit generates an interrupt drops the input signal and then changes the input to an output and drives a red LED (so it stays lit) until the msp430 'circuit breaker' gets reset. It would be definately a cute application. The 14 pin msp430g2121 or whatever can be used for several 'breaker' circuits (heh). I digress anyhow :D

That could be a project of the month "micro breaker for bread boarders" LOL.

Anyhow the TPS22942 would be fine for most anything on the board. It operates from 1.6V to 5.5V and comes in an SC70-5 package. Small but not too small (IE not BGA).  You can at least solder the thing. (I have to get better tools for that myself.and better eyes ... sigh).

Cyb

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buy @ The 43oh Store.   So I got a couple samples of the F5172 (has 5V-tolerant I/Os, 32KB flash + 2KB SRAM, Timer_D can run up to 256MHz with FLL) this past summer and had nothing to do with them.

Redesigned it with a much better XTAL layout.   Other changes: SW1 P2.7 now sources its pullup from VIO rather than 3V3, since P2.7 happens to be one of the VIO-driven (i.e. 5V-tolerant) I/O pins.  

Posting both FT232RL and FT230XS variations:     F5172 LaunchPad draft3_0 (FT232RL)-   Schematic: DipTrace Schematic - F5172_LaunchPad_draft3_FT232RL.pdf OSHpark gerbers: OSH_43oh_F5172_draft3_0

Posted Images

Slick!  Yeah implementing a dual FTDI SBW solution's not for me, frankly.... but integrating current switches like that one sounds like a token to consider for future designs.

Regarding FTDI FET work, welll you can dream big (LOL). I guess the old addage of all things possible not all practical holds true.

If I remember correctly when I was looking at those, I was looking at it for something similiar.

I needed some current limited supply outputs from the main supply and

1. I didn't wants to use resistors (tool much voltage drop).
  2. I didn't want to use seperate LDO's for each supply line (more expensive.
  3. I wanted the option of knowing what got shorted (hence the output).

Anyhow those seemed to be affordable. They also have multi output ones (1, 2, 4 output ones). The multiple output ones share the OC ouput I think in a wired OR configuration.

Cyb

What in the hell, I have silkscreen errors all over the wazoo.  The "5V" and "GND" pins I have unpopulated near the top of the board are backwards; it should be "GND" then "5V".  I am going to black that out with a sharpie so the user doesn't accidentally short something out.  Another refdes error in the lower left corner of the board I caught early on (shouldn't affect the user since the components have been soldered on in the right spot).

Ok this is kinda strange, but noteworthy. The FT230X seems to have reversed the behavior of the TXLED# and RXLED# functions in the CBUS pins relative to the FT232R -- They now make correct sense, IMO.

Wording from FT230X datasheet:

TXLED# CBUS0, CBUS1, CBUS2, CBUS3 Transmit data LED drive

Well you could reconfigure the behavior of the pins by using the internal MTP memory on it. I also noticed it had an option to act as a USB charger 'facilitator' using external logic (hmm nifty).,

Anyhow  ...

Ok this is kinda strange, but noteworthy. The FT230X seems to have reversed the behavior of the TXLED# and RXLED# functions in the CBUS pins relative to the FT232R -- They now make correct sense, IMO.

Wording from FT230X datasheet:

TXLED# CBUS0, CBUS1, CBUS2, CBUS3 Transmit data LED drive

Well you could reconfigure the behavior of the pins by using the internal MTP memory on it. I also noticed it had an option to act as a USB charger 'facilitator' using external logic (hmm nifty).,

Anyhow  ...

Yep that's what I did to these, reprogrammed it so they work correctly.  If I'm feeling ambitious I could try rerouting those nets for if/when I do another batch in the future... save myself 10 minutes or so worth of reprogramming!

Yep that's what I did to these, reprogrammed it so they work correctly.  If I'm feeling ambitious I could try rerouting those nets for if/when I do another batch in the future... save myself 10 minutes or so worth of reprogramming!

Good too know it works (LOL). I presume it took 10 minutes because you had 10 boards?

I'm not overly fond of how USB is handled in windows. I'll refrain from windows hate but does the FTDI parts NOT magically add yet another COM port under windows? :grin: I believe they are already serialized (0x40- 0x4E I think it was in the MTP map).

I made the same mistake on the first rev of my FT230X board. Prefer how it was done on the older R series. Would like to have the LEDs show serial activity rather than USB activity.

Hmmm I thought you could program them for that? (data sheet says 'no'.) I concur that would make more sense but then again I'm not a big fan of USB. It took them 4-5 years to get a COM device style anything for it, honestly that's kind of insane as almost all devices are a serial stream these days. (All internet communication via TCP/IP is sequential serial data. Not raw packets.)

Slight deviation:

As For what I mentioned earlier (DIY FET) the FT220X might work well for JTAG / FET emulation. However the FET uses the msp430F1612 for all the SBW interfacing. Hmmmm I'll have too see how much one can do. I'm not a fan of bypassing such hardware (IE a dedicated processor for the FET). The DLL is an API system to handle FET debugging so functionality on the part between the computer and the processor to be debugged or programed is up in the air my guess. So yes it could take a fair amount of work (LOL).

Cyb

On my Windows 7 Starter edition netbook, every FTDI device introduced a new COM device (unplugging a device & adding it back, it reused its original one... but every new one got a new COM #).

With the TUSB3410 the driver itself has to force the com port to a specific location, it does so when it creates the first instance and has the serial # to associate with it.

However you need to specify it. If you use the TUSB3410 otherwise under winXP you get YET another com port (I have 33 have to remember how to delete the stupid things).

I believe many other manufacturers devices do the same thing. Unfortunately you have to get TI blessing (IE you need to register with them and they let you get the data) to get the source for thier drive.

The FET has 2 serial ports and is actually registered as a "complex" USB device (IE more than one type of USB identifyer associated with it).

The FT220X looks useful, although I'm not sure what for ... its terrible wanting to tinker with no time isn't it?

Cyb

This is pretty awesome! I'm working on a design that uses the f5172 right now but haven't prototyped it out yet, this would be perfect for that! I was planning to mess around with code on my fram dev board until I got a pcb ordered.

Thanks for posting all the design files and even some example sources, this is going to be helpful for me.

Awesome job!