43oh

Spam and Jan 2011 POTM

Hello Everyone,

First, a Happy New Year to all you guys. Thanks for supporting us for the latter half of 2010 - It was great!

Second, thanks for taking the time out and flagging down spam posts. This has been very helpful to moderate from the backend. The reason there is a delay when you file a report is because I'm in transit and do not have access to the net 24/7. In a few days, registration/captcha will be made a little harder and hopefully get rid of a few of them. However, human spammers cannot be beaten.

Third, we are sorry that the Jan 2011 POTM could not be held. Maybe it was a good break. Feb 2011 should see something good.

We are also getting good amount of hits from Adafruit, Dangerousprototypes and Makezine because of the " 5 simple breadboarding tips" post. Users then hop to the forums after the post and some of them join in too because of the forum content - so good job and keep it up! Many thanks to these sites too, for sending us visitors. We'll make it a point to do the same.

Thanks again!

Nice to hear from you bluehash. You pretty much covered everything I had been wondering. Selfishly, I don't mind the POTM break. I've been busy with something else, so I haven't had time to touch anything msp430 since Christmas.

I second this.

I think there are a few of us who would be willing to step up.

I definitely would. Though I've been kinda silent the past few weeks, I have been reading every new post. I usually check in at least twice a day, usually more. (This is the only forum I regularly participate in, honestly. I feel a good sense of community here that I've never found elsewhere.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

You guys may have noticed that there is reasonably less(to none) spam posts. This is because one of our members, Geekdoc is hard at work. He's been given moderator status to take care of them.

To all those who offered( gateshphere, NTM, jsolarski, RobG and others), thank you. Please don't get offended, if we need help, you guys are next in line. Thanks for keeping the discussions going though.

Also, I'll finally have time to update the main blog. Travel kind of screwed my system clock( 24hour inter country travel is.. phew!), now everything is back to normal.. You know 0 degree F temperatures in the North East. Glad to be back.

Feb POTM should be in time.

Glad to hear it. Congrats, Doc!

Umm... Thanks?

You wouldn't believe how much SPAM we get! :evil: Well, maybe you would; you flag a lot of it. ;)

I try. I've dedicated hours of my life fighting spam on my personal sites. That's why the registration to my documentation wiki is disabled at the moment. And why the (simplistic) comment form on my blog has a captcha. It's just tiring, really.

But yeah, I hate spam.

• 2 weeks later...