rebeltaz

figuring things out - differences in 2452 and 2552?

I want to thank you guys for your help. I think I have learned quite a bit and I seem to understand most of it. I downloaded the datasheets for both the msp430g2452 and the 2552. Since they are both about 70 pages each, before I go print them out and try to learn form them... let me ask something. Is the 2452 the same as the 2552 program-wise and pin-wise, except that the 2552 has more memory space and more I/O pins? In other words, can I just print out the 2552 datasheet and use it for the 2452 as well, ignoring the extra pins and remembering that the memory is limited?

Thanks again...

BTW - I don't suppose there is a printed version of the User Guide is there!? I read better from paper, but printing 658 pages... wow!

I assume you mean the 2452 and the 2553?

Basically what you said was right, except the 2553 has a USCI (Universal Serial Communication Interface) so you can talk to a computer through the hardware UART or to other chips via SPI or I2C. For chips without a hardware UART, you have to implement it in software, and instead of a USCI, you would have a USI (Universal Serial Interface) for just SPI and I2C communication.

EDIT: At 600+ pages, I personally wouldn't print it because eventually you will miss the Ctrl-F ability of a pdf.

LOL.. yeah. I don't know why I kept typing 2552. Thanks...

Actually what I want to print is the datasheet, not the user guide. The datasheet is only about 70 pages. And while search is nice, I'm old-fashioned... I do better with flip - as in flipping through the pages :)

The 2553 has 24 gpio at max, 2 timers, 2 usci (a and B), and twice the flash and ram. The 2452 only has 1 usi and 1 timer, and 16 gpio max

I only ever print out the first 20 pages of the datasheets, right before all the data and graphs start.

And for the user guide, I only print modules that I am using....eventually you will have most of the modules printed as you learn each one.

And I agree, I like having a datasheet printed, so I can make my notes.

fwiw with my current project I used a 2452 for the external sensor box, which only needs to use SPI (to communicate with an nRF24L01+ RF transceiver and a MAX31855 thermocouple amplifier chip, both SPI-based) and a 2553 for the base station which needs to talk to an nRF24L01+ and print stuff over a serial port (UART) to a PC.

One thing I do like about the USI spi implementation is it can do 16-bits at a time... I wrote my nRF24L01+ library to take full advantage of that, and one test I did with my logic analyzer it notably reduced the amount of time spent doing SPI I/O. Probably not a huge issue though, but I thought it was cool ;)