Sign in to follow this  
JWoodrell

first PCB back from fab and semi-populated :)

well I am proud of this so I wanted to show it off, even though I don't have all the bits to make it functional yet (and the Army is kicking me to a month long training thing on Thursday so it will have to wait till I get back... :(

but anyway, I had my little USB prototype V1.2 sent to a fab place (Osh Park) and they had them done and to me yesterday, even though I ordered them a week and a half later than the seeed ones (still waiting on them)... I ordered these on the 4th, and got them on the 22nd, oh and it only cost me $5.00 per square inch of board (you get 3 copies of the board) mine are smaller than a square inch so I only paid $3.10 to have these made :)

anyway, so this is my first PCB, and my first attempt at re-flow soldering, the YZP, and YZV parts are ridiculously tiny, but i got them placed and they stuck properly. (4 point ball grid array, and 6 point BGA, .5mm pitch, the overall chip is only 1mm square, or 1 x 1.5mm for the YZP...

anyway here is what it looks like, I know there is a bridge on the 6 legged chip, I am not sure if I used too much solder paste, or not enough to generate the tension to pull that down?... but I can fix that by hand pretty easy

post-12741-135135571826_thumb.jpg

post-12741-135135571838_thumb.jpg

post-12741-135135571849_thumb.jpg

code wise I am pretty close to being able to receive properly. I have it syncing correctly, and am working on the NRZI and bit destuffing code (in a month when I get back from training)

SWEET! How much do you think a kit or Full board would end up costing?

Also, full sized female usb A? Wouldn't a usb mini port be a better option, in terms of size and board cost and portability? Otherwise you would need a non-standard cross over cable. JFC that's small.

the parts price if it were fully populated including board (complete with usb connector and power subset) is $8.91 buying the parts one at a time, it goes down to around $4.50 if i bough enough to make a bunch of them (100 boards worth of parts at a time)

the minimum for it to work as a translator wired in direct (no connector, no power, no pin headers) is about $5.82, going down to $2.42 (at 100 boards worth)

I don't know how much labor would add, those are just part prices