spirilis

[S]Nordic nRF24L01+ RF BoosterPack

Thought I'd attached gerbers for this to the thread, looks like I didn't... Here they are:

Seeed gerbers: Seeed_43oh_nRF24_5x5.zip

OSHpark.com gerbers: OSH_43oh_nRF24.zip

Parts/BOM:

nRF24_IRQ LED - SMD LED, 0603/0805/1206 should work

SPI_I/O LED - SMD LED, 0603/0805/1206 should work

R1 - 10K SMD resistor, 0603/0805/1206 should work

R2 - 1K SMD resistor, 0603/0805/1206 should work

R3 - 1K SMD resistor, 0603/0805/1206 should work

R4 - 10K SMD resistor, 0603/0805/1206 should work

Q1 - PNP BJT transistor, SMD, SOT-23, example: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=PMBS3906,215virtualkey66800000virtualkey771-PMBS3906215

Q2 - NPN BJT transistor, SMD, SOT-23, example: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=PMBS3904,235virtualkey66800000virtualkey771-PMBS3904235

Reposting this from the GB-8 thread:

PS- When I get the boards (should be soon), I am going to populate the Q1/Q2 transistors for the LEDs so folks don't have to mess with ordering those. Not changing the price of the boards at all (the transistors cost all of 5 cents a piece anyway), and that way folks only need to supply SMD resistors and LEDs to get the SPI and nRF IRQ status LEDs working.

So ignore Q1 and Q2 from the BOM.

PS- Hadn't realized what HASL surface treatment was until now (solder coating). There's just enough solder on these pads that I needn't add any of my own, I'm just dabbing a tiny amount of flux on each one and the transistors are going on quick. Very nice.

Two finished boards (which I'll keep)-

post-15991-0-81646700-1353551506_thumb.jpg

That's a Stellaris LaunchPad btw. Fits great over the MSP430 launchpad too of course.

Note the 0603 resistors for the LED circuit ... looks tiny against those pads, but no extra solder required b/c of the HASL coating either.

The rest of the boards with PNP & NPN transistors soldered on-

post-15991-0-09773400-1353551514_thumb.jpg

Next task: Qtip+alcohol, clean flux off all the boards.

After that, test my newly soldered boards...

Boards work:

post-15991-0-04268500-1353553341_thumb.jpg

The LP on the right is a v1.5 with a G2553 transmitting a command every 500ms or so, the LP on the left is a v1.4 LP with a G2533 (and custom gender benders I had OSHpark make a while back, since I'd soldered female headers on my old LP) blinking its LED upon receipt of every packet. Red LED blinking perfectly.

Status LEDs on the boosterpacks work correctly too; the SPI I/O in this example is barely a flicker, and the nRF IRQ briefly flashes in unison with that. If there was a bug in the firmware and it wasn't answering nRF24 IRQs correctly, the LED would go on hard so you'd see it. Should be handy for troubleshooting.

Boards work:

dsc_4892.sm.jpg

The LP on the right is a v1.5 with a G2553 transmitting a command every 500ms or so, the LP on the left is a v1.4 LP with a G2533 (and custom gender benders I had OSHpark make a while back, since I'd soldered female headers on my old LP) blinking its LED upon receipt of every packet. Red LED blinking perfectly.

Status LEDs on the boosterpacks work correctly too; the SPI I/O in this example is barely a flicker, and the nRF IRQ briefly flashes in unison with that. If there was a bug in the firmware and it wasn't answering nRF24 IRQs correctly, the LED would go on hard so you'd see it. Should be handy for troubleshooting.

That's good news! I'll put this up on the Blog.

Is this just for data , or could this handle motor pwm? Basically I have some r/c drift cars and a crawler that needs a radio , but I dont like using off-shelf parts. I would be lookin at two inputs (linear trimmers) , and maybe a couple on/off led drivers. The reciever would have a drive motor , a steering servo(or motor) , and maybe some led drivers as well...

Sorry for such a specific/generic question , but I have a million ideas , and this would put one hobby to rest.

-hov

I just want to say that I am liking this.

Placing the nRF24L01+ booster beneath the Stellaris doesn't increase the height as much or obscure the LP's buttons like it does on top. MSP430LP on the bottom, nRF24L01+ in the middle and Stellaris LP on top:

post-26656-0-02130000-1357624515_thumb.jpg

Stackable headers should've been the standard on the MSP430 LP.

*note- please ignore the extra headers soldered to the Stellaris. I have some other ideas mulling around and those may make it easier for me when I actually know what I'm doing. ;-)

and the glasses in the background are +2.0 reading glasses.