Sign in to follow this  
spirilis

My time with the Renesas RX

GCC, but, I'm not using the RPDL in my code, just studying it as a reference.

Did you do anything neat with your board btw? Only project I'd heard about was someone doing a home brewing system controlled by one...

Sent from my C3PO via Tapatalk

I've dabbled with my RX board a bit.  It seems to take a program via J-Link Commander for Linux, but then does a whole lot of nothing.

It's probably something to do with the compiler.  I'm using KPIT's Gnu-RX, and maybe there is some sort of magic that I'm missing.  It *appears* to compile correctly and even vallaidates when I check it in J-Link.

Turns out that my problem is just from loading ELF files through J-Link commander.  It send all of the pointer information and all sorts of junk to the the uC memory.  It works fine if I use DJ Delorie's "rxusb" program and load it through the microcontrollers USB port (not the J-Link port) in "function" mode.

http://www.delorie.com/electronics/rx-stick/

http://renesas-dev.com/renesas_products/rx/f/122/t/2764.aspx

Since I am not all that familiar with J-Link, I suspect that the proper binary portions need to be ripped from the ELF and flashed to the correct memory locations.  Maybe someone else has some insight?

At any rate, it would seem that the RX62N is completely programmable from Linux.  I'm glad because I've been wanting to work with one of these boards for the better part of two years now.  I've always had a soft spot for Hitachi / NEC / Renesas parts.

Nice sleuthing! I'm still sitting in the Renesas e2studio cocoon although I prefer unix+gnu toolchains...

And on an unrelated note, I haven't touched my kit in a few weeks.

Nice sleuthing! I'm still sitting in the Renesas e2studio cocoon although I prefer unix+gnu toolchains... And on an unrelated note, I haven't touched my kit in a few weeks. Sent from my C3PO via Tapatalk

KPIT has GNURX precompiled for Windows on their site, if you register.  J-Link Commander of course is pretty much designed for Windows.  The Linux version is functional, but a bit quirky.

It would be interesting if you are able to compile Delorie's program on Windows with Cigwin.  That would eliminate the need for the Renesas IDE (I undertstand that HEW has a 60 day time limit.  Not sure about E2EStudio.)

One problem enccountered is with the device's USB port on my Ubuntu 11.10 machine.  I kept getting errors of "device not accepting address" in /var/log/messages.  Turns out to be some sort of UHCI bug.  I plugged the board into what is effectively a hub on an external hard drive (looks like USB 2.0) and it worked, but fails in USB 1.1 ports.  I could spend time to determine the cause of the problem, but it's just not worth it.  I think that some bug in the USB drivers are just not permitting the correct mode.

One more thing.  I forgot to mention that my board was also missing the temp sensor, just as you noted a few months back.  So your hunch was probably correct about them giving away some "rejects".  :)

Oh I am using KPIT GnuRX with my e2studio environment... I also have HEW mainly to look up the demo code. Needed it to figure out the Data Flash piece. The Renesas compiler eval has long since expired.

Overall I like the chip, I haven't done anything with ARM to compare but in textbook specs the RX seems like a superior architecture compared to ARM Cortex-M. I hope Renesas keeps it going through their financial troubles and I hope I get around to doing something useful with my RDK board this century ;)

Overall I like the chip, I haven't done anything with ARM to compare but in textbook specs the RX seems like a superior architecture compared to ARM Cortex-M. I hope Renesas keeps it going through their financial troubles and I hope I get around to doing something useful with my RDK board this century ;-) Sent from my C3PO via Tapatalk

I like it too, but I can't help but feel that all of the pressure of the world's general migration to ARM doesn't leave a whole lot of room for other products.  Renesas cites "lower demand for consumer electronics" for their financial woes, but what they really mean is "lower demand for consumer electronics that run on Renesas chips".

Renesas has never really been very good at capturing hobbyists, and most of their evaluation boards are prohibitively expensive for the common hacker.  Their pink GR-SAKURA Arduino clone is only available in Japan.  They should work with the manufacturer to distribute it to the rest of the world as well; pink or not.

So, just curious as to what was going on over here. Came over looked, sounds like someone learning new hardware. Yeap, complete with muttering to self, and all ( just like here ). lol .  .

Not familiar with this processor. Most I only really have heard of Ti's Stellaris stuff, of course ST, and broadcom. With that said, I  downloaded Code::blocks the other day to have something to write C++ on the PC to write mock ups / conception code. BUt I noticed there are possible projects from within the new project wizard including GNU ARM, plus a couple of other embedded devices I can not think off at the moment. This just got me to thinking, what is the current state of generic embedded design using OSS tools. Are there a lot of good libraries ? Or do we have to write all the initial code ourselves in ASM.

So spirilis, why this processor ? 

So, just curious as to what was going on over here. Came over looked, sounds like someone learning new hardware. Yeap, complete with muttering to self, and all ( just like here ). lol .  .

Not familiar with this processor. Most I only really have heard of Ti's Stellaris stuff, of course ST, and broadcom. With that said, I  downloaded Code::blocks the other day to have something to write C++ on the PC to write mock ups / conception code. BUt I noticed there are possible projects from within the new project wizard including GNU ARM, plus a couple of other embedded devices I can not think off at the moment. This just got me to thinking, what is the current state of generic embedded design using OSS tools. Are there a lot of good libraries ? Or do we have to write all the initial code ourselves in ASM.

So spirilis, why this processor ? 

Just about any good chip has a GCC port of some sort, so it's generally pretty easy to work with just about any board with OSS tools.  Most of the code examples are reusable with some minor tweaks.  This goes for CCS code examples and MSPGCC as well.

In the case of this Renesas board, I am currently playing with a FreeRTOS web server that I compiled with GCC on Ubuntu.  This chip has oddles of peripherals and lots of horsepower.  The board has all sorts of the usual goodies, including RS-232 port, micro SD, 12 LEDs, USB, a pot, speaker, audio out, 128M serial flash.  Fun stuff.

Fair enough, free is as good a reason as anything else I suppose. Kind of partial to TI stuff myself but . . .Hey ! whats that over there ?! *places an order while no ones looking* . . . so yeah, um its not TI ;-)

All kidding aside though, even though they're relatively new as a company, they seems to be on the ball. First I've heard of the company really though.

Eh, given their bankrupcy I dunno how "on the ball" they really are. They might be new, and just happen to be #1 MCU seller in the world, but they are mainly the semiconductor divisions of a bunch of Japanese companies (NEC, Hitachi, Mitsubishi) basically sold & smashed into one company. From what little I read about their current bankrupcy, it's their business with the various Japanese automakers that's making them look valuable enough for a Japan govt bailout.

Still, I like what I see with the architecture of RX, I'm just not 100% sure it won't be aborted in lieu of the bankrupcy. And it looks difficult to get their chips--to say nothing of their dev boards--in the US. Except this RDK which many of us got free, but that was designed by a US company and an NC professor wrote a college textbook for it.