bluehash

[Group Buy-7]IV-18 VFD Clock - $20

I'm confused, are we supposed to not be assembling these because of overheating still?

I'd hold off a bit. cubeberg has mentioned on the other thread that the inductor may be the culprit. He's checking on solutions.

I'm confused, are we supposed to not be assembling these because of overheating still?

I'd hold off a bit. cubeberg has mentioned on the other thread that the inductor may be the culprit. He's checking on solutions.

Could you point me in the direction of that thread? I must be overlooking it somehow... I'd love to help diagnose if I can.

In this environment, we're experimenting. There are no guarantees or warranties. I am glad the community found this problem before it baffled me.

I think it would be fair to run this as another group buy for these parts. Neither Cubeberg, nor Bluehash should have to absorb the additional costs in parts and shipping.

Bluehash: Let me know the cost, my PayPal awaits.

I wouldn't mind just buying the parts myself directly from the distributor.

That's another point: A GB would be awesome, but, if it's a hassle to do, a simple link to an appropriate source for individuals to purchase their own replacement parts would be almost as good.

One of the things I love about this community is that no one feels entitled to anything like so much of society these days. Maybe it's jsut an attribute of being a "maker". :thumbup:

Alright then. That saves alot. If someone wants theirs shipped, let me know. It would probably be $2 for first class. I think it would be $5 for parts including shipping from Tayda.

Chris, I got your PM. Would you please put those product links here.

I'll copy it to the first post.

Thanks for the very positive replies guys! I've kind of been beating myself up a little bit about this the last couple of days (only a little thankfully).

I'm working on figuring out what the correct values are for the inductor - part of that is getting the data sheet from the supplier - it looks like what I have was an EC36 series and the smaller ones are EC24. I know the boost circuit itself uses over 100mA when I was testing, although I'm not sure what the range is. I'll do some testing and see if I can find a mouser part.

I did find the EC36 inductor on eBay that say it's rated for 306mA.

Ideally - I'm hoping the supplier will ship me the correct parts and we'll just need to get S&H figured out.

I'm glad most of the other things worked well. With so many components, just having one/two bad one is a pretty good streak. Anyway we learnt alot.. I for one did not know that the inductor value changed with size...I feel dumb.

Also, your board should have reached you. It says delivered. I mailed you the tracking number.