touch

SPI 4 digit 7 segment displays

I was considering adding my own LED's for the DP's on things where I needed them. It's easy enough to solder to the chip, just lightly sand the epoxy off of the chip legs, drill a hole where the DP is and stickin a 0402 LED with some enameled wire connecting it to the driver chip.

Can you tell if there are any traces in the way of doing this?

@touch - the first and fourth decimal place would be clear to drill through to mount a led in, the second one is blocked by the 6 interface pins, and the third is blocked by a via.

@RobG - challenge complete... :) There is still some epoxy on the inside of the legs but it wouldn't interfere with reusing the chip, and if i tried too aggressively to clean it off, i would probably damage the legs.

I actually salvaged the little SMD resistor as well, but it is tiny and i misplaced it, now I can't find the thing :( the capacitor could have been salvaged if I was paying closer attention to it.

post-12741-1351355670_thumb.jpg

post-12741-135135567032_thumb.jpg

1st and 4th? that's all most people would need. Drill in from the back, a little at a time, drop down the led, test to see if it lights decently enough, drill some more if needed (jewelers drill [or hex shank drill bit on screwdriver] is probably best).

As for the legs, look into ic decapping acid. Just enough to clean them without tools. There are some cheap homebrew versions.

The other option that would allow all 4 LEDs would be to drill into the side of the case, you have a good bit of room above the pcb that is just clear plastic(about 3/16 if i had to guess based on memory) you could drop the led in the side. Just a thought, when i get back home ill measure and take pictures

Hey there guys, I ended up picking up 30 of these things.... mainly for no reason :)

Although I'm trying to get this working with a bus pirate

Does someone have an example to get this working with one? including full setup of the Bus Pirate to displaying some numbers.

I wouldn't mind stacking these things next to eachother for a long display... again for no reason :) just for fun.

I went though the setup mode to get to SPI> and tried sending 0x02, 0x40, 0x00, 0x8F but I don't see any numbers lit up.... could I be doing something horribly wrong?

Thanks,

--Aaron

To light up all segments, send: 0x02, 0x40, 0x8F, 0xC0, 0xFF, 0xC2, 0xFF, 0xC4, 0xFF, 0xC6, 0xFF

Also, STB has to be kept low between address and data, you cannot raise it after 0xCx.

To light up all segments, send: 0x02, 0x40, 0x8F, 0xC0, 0xFF, 0xC2, 0xFF, 0xC4, 0xFF, 0xC6, 0xFF

Also, STB has to be kept low between address and data, you cannot raise it after 0xCx.

Hi RobG,

If I send anything nothing happens,

The comment you made about keeping STB Low between address and data, is there a way of doing this on the BusPirate?

Only thing that gives this away is the setup option "Clock Polarity" this shows Idle low *Default and Idle High... me thinks Idle High?

I'm trying a bunch of different combinations, but I'm a new BusPirate user at least with attempting to decode datasheets... I would think it would be a little easier since some C code was provided above.

Thanks,

--Aaron

Humm, maybe I should stick with an Arduino example sketch if one exists?

--Aaron

Rob,

I can't get this display to do anything, I'm almost convinced its "My" setup of the buspirate into the SPI mode.

I don't see anywhere in the code where you specify Pin's to output the clk/strobe/mosi/moso data?

This also does not compile in Arduino 1.01 says DISP was not declared in the scope for some reason... but I clearly see it at the beginning.... Its clearly pebcak on my part, but help would be grand!

Thanks,

--Aaron

It kinda barfs on one part of it. in Arduino 1.01

sketch_sep24a:2: error: function definition does not declare parameters
sketch_sep24a.ino: In function 'void loop()':
sketch_sep24a:39: error: 'DISP' was not declared in this scope

--Aaron

Ignore that ^^

There was an = sign that needed to be put on the char line. fixed.

NOnyP.jpg

Someone tell me if I'm doing something horribly incorrect as I can't get these displays to do anything.

Thanks.