43oh

I am a Noob and I need help.

hi i am new to this programing thing :?: i have gotten to be very familiar with analog and normal electronic components. my main goal is to get control of a servo for a project i have. i can get control of it with a 555 astable. but i think that i can have way more control with a micro controller correct? i would also like it to respond a certain way with different inputs. basically i need to start from step one where do i learn to program this thing!?!? :oops:

sorry about the caps :oops: but no i dont have experience in programming. all i can do is alter a previous code to the led flashing demo :lol: and i can barley do that. all my experience is in automobiles. i am familiar with most components as in transistors and resistors ect i have been studying and experimenting with all those components so i understand that stuff already. but when it comes to programming.... nothing :( i need to know where i can start when it comes to programing.. thank you for you help btw

mitsu-lover, welcome to the world of embedded systems. there isnt much you CANT do with a microcomputer if you have enough time to build and design it.

I have a blog which might be able to help you get started with the MSP430 if you have a LaunchPad, and can definitely still help you get started with any MSP430 development board. If you don't have any hardware yet, I would recommend buying a LaunchPad (but find a place that has it in stock first).

http://www.msp430launchpad.com/2010/07/ ... arted.html - I would recommend starting here since its the first post I have where you actually start playing with the LaunchPad. I think the best way to learn is to just get your hands dirty and play around.

http://www.msp430launchpad.com/2010/07/ ... ation.html - this is another possible place to start, it discusses the circuitry in the LaunchPad a bit too.

There are a few other good resources available for the MSP430 and LaunchPad. This forum is also one of the best places to start. I would just start playing around before you try to understand what the code is actually doing line by line. It will be much easier to learn what C is, after seeing it magically work.

Most importantly, have fun!

I second the recommendation to read NJC's blog. He's VERY good at explaining the concepts and what each part of the code does.

I also suggest having a look around the internet for C++ tutorials. There are several good ones that start you from the beginning.

Welcome, and best of luck!

im sorry guys but i think this programming thing is out of my league :oops: i have tried so hard to understand. I sat for hours altering the led blinking code, I read c++ tutorials FOR BEGINNERS! still the programming language is too much for me to comprehend. I cant even get pass integers without getting lost. im sorry for complaining so much but i wish i could understand this stuff. i might have to go to school for it :lol: but thanks for your help guys.

Don't give up! Everybody had to start somewhere.

This forum is an awesome place to begin.

I absolutely agree with timotet! Keep trying on simple examples, and it will usually just 'click' at some point; your understanding of the example will go from "WTF?" to "OMG! Cool!".