43oh

Completely clueless and need advice for screen choice.

Hey everyone, I'm completely new to this type of thing and I need a little advice.

My msp430 just got here and my plan is to build a sous vide cooker. I'll need an LCD screen that will show temperature. What is the cheapest screen that I can buy for this project?

Also since this is my first project of this type, if theres a screen I can buy thats only slightly more expensive but easier to work with I'd probably be more interested in that.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

Character LCD's are great and easy to code for and can be purchased on eBay for about $3 for a 3.3v module, but they do take up a lot of pins.

The Nokia 5110 is very nice LCD that you can also find for about $3-4 on ebay and RobG design an adapter shield that would make it extremely easy to work with. Required pin count would be much lower.

cubeberg beat me to it, but:

If you only need to display temperature, there are multi-digit 7-segment led displays available cheap on ebay; downside is a lot of pins used.

A 16x2 character display can display a lot of info using ~6 pins (parallel, ~US$5.00 on ebay), or 2 pins (I2C, ~US$10-15.00 on ebay).

There are several implementation examples throughout the projects section of the forum. Hope this helps!

I finally got my HD44780 working a few weeks back (what a PITA!) but once I did I fell in love. I have also noticed that they are now super cheap on eBay. There are plenty around $2.30/ea with free shipping -- at least for the 5V versions. The cheapest 3.3V ones I saw were about $4.50.

It is difficult to find a multi-digit LED display for less, and in addition you are going to need either a driver chip of some sort. The common driver (I forget the part number offhand) is ridiculously expensive from US distributers ($5 - $10, IIRC) but can be found on eBay in the $1 - $2 range. You can also use shift registers and transistors and drive it from the uC more directly.

I finally got my HD44780 working a few weeks back (what a PITA!) but once I did I fell in love. I have also noticed that they are now super cheap on eBay. There are plenty around $2.30/ea with free shipping -- at least for the 5V versions. The cheapest 3.3V ones I saw were about $4.50.

It is difficult to find a multi-digit LED display for less, and in addition you are going to need either a driver chip of some sort. The common driver (I forget the part number offhand) is ridiculously expensive from US distributers ($5 - $10, IIRC) but can be found on eBay in the $1 - $2 range. You can also use shift registers and transistors and drive it from the uC more directly.

I was looking at the hd44780, I definitely like the price. But like I said I've never done anything like this before so I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying.

Do you mean that if I buy the hd44780, I'll need to also buy other parts in order to use it with my msp430? If so, is that the case with all lcd screens???

I forgot to mention I wanted to add buttons/ some kind of control to be able to adjust the desired temperature.

Would that make something like this (The LCD Capacitive Touch Boosterpack) (wont let new users post links)

my best option?

The button or touch version of the lcd in the store would suit you purpose. The button version is slightly simpler as it requires less code, but both are ok. A sous vide was one of my intention when I designed the board, but have not gotten around to it. Post pictures if you build one. I intend to use the touch one to make it waterproof.

The lcd quality of the in-store board is similar to 5110. It is a bit smaller, slightly higher resolution (not significant) and has a good and even backlight. It is easy to use and with CorB's code code you could also graph th temperature profile if you wanted to.

The oled display in the store is a nice option also. I haven't tried it, but suspect it has the same ease of use.