43oh

LaunchScope

I finally got around to posting my final post in the scope series. I just wanted to thank Doc for his help a while ago with testing the code. If anyone finds any errors, or typos, or anything else please let me know; its hard to make sure everything is perfect.

http://www.msp430launchpad.com/2010/12/ ... scope.html

Any ideas on the next post? I'm open to suggestions. For now I'm thinking I2C communication between multiple chips, but I would not mind a distraction from my all my plans.

...Any ideas on the next post? I'm open to suggestions...

Logic analyzer? Something simple, maybe 4 inputs, or 8 using external shift register.

I second this suggestion!

I'm going to try to interface your oscilloscope project with a Nokia data cable and make a stand-alone cheapo USB o-scope. A logic analyzer would be another great project/tool for me! :D

Hey everyone....

@bluehash:

bluehash: Yes, that is how this works. When the LaunchPad is streaming data you can stop the stream by clicking the stop button on the GUI, then you can send any command. Your question made me realize that I should have greyed out the other buttons in the GUI while the device is streaming. Oh well, maybe in another release.

heres the answer to your question from my blog comments. I hope I answered your question, if not, let me know. About your first comment, Berstein's library is amazing for sure! I can't believe it took me so long to find it, very easy to use and customize.

@simpleavr

DC means no change in voltage (0Hz), you can have AC with a voltage offset. So it is possible to measure an AC signal if you are careful to make sure the voltage ranges stay within the 0V to 3V (or VCC) range. I actually use this for reading something similar to an EKG; the analog input comes from an op-amp amplification and filtering stage. The trick is to make a reference voltage (or a "virtual ground" as I like to call it) at about VCC/2. For example, running on 3V with the MSP430, provide your analog circuitry with 1.5V as a "virtual ground", so to your analog device 3V seems like +1.5V, and GND seems like -1.5V. I know it sounds complicated, if I'm not making sense I can draw something up quick for you. It's a nice trick which has helped me immensely.

@doc and rob

hmmm, logic analyzer, I can put some thought into it. the problem is that the msp430 code would be super simple and that would turn into more of a software (computer appplication) project. i'll think about it though, i might be able to do something tricky with it. plus i could then explain how to make and use buffers in the chip... hmmm....

and doc, keep us posted with the nokia LCD! very interesting, I would love to see how that comes out. I've been thinking of getting an LCD to play with myself, but I think I want a bluetooth device first.

• 1 year later...