43oh

energia device support

hello,

what is the highest end msp430 i can use with energia and launchpad?

i need more ram, speed and i/o.

what would it take to port energia to more sophisticated boards/cpu's? I think arduino runs nicer on TI hardware. For example will it be possible to run arduino on a board like MSP430F149/430? if it would be that would be awesome. and if not how much work is required in order to do it?

best

what is the highest end msp430 i can use with energia and launchpad?

At this time, with Energia 101E0008, the most power chip supported is the msp430g2553.

In the works are the msp430fr5739 you find in the fraunchpad board. This chip has 16K of FRAM and 1K of RAM. However because it is FRAM you can use it like RAM allowing you a lot more flexibility. The code to make it work with Energia is in the "fraunchpad" branch and should be part of the master soon.

After we get the frauchpad in the master branch and tested, we will start looking at the msp430f5510 you find in the recent Olimex board. http://www.mouser.com/olimex-olimexino5510/

The problem with those older msp430F1xx chips is that they don't use SBW (Spy-Bi-Wire) which is 2 wire JTAG used with the launchpad. To program those older chips would require BSL or real 4 wire JTAG. I don't see any of those older chips being on the top of the porting list. Another reason to not use those chips is because they are more expensive, slower and less capable than the msp430f5xxx chips that replaced them.

-rick

Support for Stellaris LaunchPad would be great as well, but I think it will require a lot of work as it is completely different MCU architecture. The bright side is somebody made that already, LeafLabs Maple is based on ARM and has Arduino-like IDE, so it is feasible. Also, Arduino family is waiting for release of ARM-based Due and maybe it will make porting easier.

how about chips such as the msp430f2013 which have 16-bit Sigma Delta adc

I have not used Energia, but the 2013 is similar enough to the G2 series that the basic peripherals should works just fine. Needless to say, you should not expect to find support for the SD16 peripheral.

Speaking of the SD16 on the F2013, I have been playing with that recently. I have been unable to achieve more than 12 bits of usable precision on a breadboard. I am not sure if this is a function of noise on the breadboard, or it is inherent to the design of the F2013. I can watch the noise drop steadily as I increase the oversampling rate but I can still only get 12 bits at the *maximum* oversample rate (1024x) so I am inclined to think that the problem is inherent to the F2013.

If you really need 16 bits of precision, you may wish to look elsewhere. I sampled some msp430afe253 parts which have three SD24 ADCs along with a separate analog front end but have yet to complete testing with them yet.

BTW, if you already have the SD16 working and you are getting better than 12 bits of precision, I'd love to hear how you are doing it!

Support for Stellaris LaunchPad would be great as well, but I think it will require a lot of work as it is completely different MCU architecture. The bright side is somebody made that already, LeafLabs Maple is based on ARM and has Arduino-like IDE, so it is feasible. Also, Arduino family is waiting for release of ARM-based Due and maybe it will make porting easier.

yes support for the stellaris would be great.

for some reason i think energia is going to be better and bigger then the original arduino.

best

• 2 weeks later...
He said precision, not resolution.
Yes but usually when we talk about number of bits we mean resolution. For 16 bit values we are talking about 0.00153 % accuracy. Not too many people have a calibrated instrument to verify that kind of precision or accuracy.

The 16 bit temperature readings I get are repeatable but I don't have a reference temperature accurate enough to tell if they are precision to 16 bits or not.

I'm sorry I don't have a way to measure the temperature inside the MSP430 to an accurate of 0.0125 F.

rockets4kids is having problems with the SD16. The problem could be in one of three areas (chip hardware, C program, external circuit). By testing with the internal temperature sensor he can eliminate two of the three areas for the problem.