cubeberg

[S]IV-18 VFD Clock Booster Pack

I'm getting a ton of unresolved symbol errors when building in CCS. Any ideas on what would cause that?

Follow Up: Turned out the paths in CCS are only working for me if they are absolute.

Success! Ran for 30 minutes with no overheating!

First to go. Awesome!

I was able to get the V1.1 board going with the new inductor as well - looks like it's a go! I had an issue with a bad solder joint on the boost IC, but figured that out after a bit.

I'll be doing some other test this weekend to see how well it works on max voltage, etc. It's been running 30 minutes at full power, perfectly cool so far!

I'm going to look through the instructions in a bit, I believe there might be a couple of things missing (I think I need extra detail on the 5v connection). There are some extra details about the current functionality that I need to add as well. I've got the GIT code using the temp sensor, but it's a bit unstable occassionally - it's good 90% of the time, but I get readings over 100 degrees F a couple times a minute. Probably interrupts messing with the assembly code.

One tip I've found so far - add a 2 pin female header to the "buzzer" connection instead of just soldering the wires directly to the board. You can swap it out with an LED for debugging/testing or use it to run/trigger something else.

You can swap it out with an LED for debugging/testing or use it to run/trigger something else.

That grinding sound you're hearing is the gears in my head turning... :think:

I got it to light up!After a while and some CCS "No Emulator Found" errors the clock is running + and not over heating (thank you bluehash and GeekDoc for the inductors).Now, I get to go and fix my faulty soldering work on the tube pins that didn't connect (missing segments) and I'm ready to go. :smile:

8183523681_89a35e8131.jpg

Photo Nov 13, 5 23 37 PM by laraswanland, on Flickr

I got it to light up!After a while and some CCS "No Emulator Found" errors the clock is running + and not over heating (thank you bluehash and GeekDoc for the inductors).Now, I get to go and fix my faulty soldering work on the tube pins that didn't connect (missing segments) and I'm ready to go. :smile:

8183523681_89a35e8131.jpg

Photo Nov 13, 5 23 37 PM by laraswanland, on Flickr

Awesome!

I see something dark looking over the VFD...

That's the dark side of her desk. :lol:

Yes, also known as the absolute BEST USB Expansion port ever. I had to fight a few people in my office for that at the white elephant a few years ago :-)

Turns out the segments missing weren't from the tube not being soldered right, but rather my inability to solder surface mount correctly. One of my co-workers let me use the lab's microscope to check the connections and I was slightly horrified how ugly it looked... needless, it's been repaired and now all the segments work. (if anyone is missing segments, it's probably the driver, not the tube). I'm getting him to post his tube when he's done, he got frustrated with the through-hole tube wires and ended up just surface mounting the tube (not sure it was any easier, but it worked and looked really good, could be a solution for anyone that messed up thier tube).

Here's the working clock with all of the segments, I took it home and had it running last night off of my extra kindle charger. I love it!

8185289461_a93f5588e1.jpg

2012-11-14 00.44.13 by laraswanland, on Flickr

*some changes*

I loved Cube's idea of having headers instead of the buzzer, so I put a 2 pin female header there.

8185289061_d58f82b23a.jpg

2012-11-14 09.37.22 by laraswanland, on Flickr

I have another project that uses a motor that I'm trying to figure out the mechanics so raises my blinds in the morning.(We'll see how that works out).

I also put 1 pin on the power supply so I can disconnect the board from the LaunchPad easily. (not sure if you can see the photo).

8185289299_083e8f11e5.jpg

2012-11-14 09.28.43 by laraswanland, on Flickr

I am getting a couple of issues (I think Cube mentioned it) when I try and set the time. Maybe I don't know the right sequence of buttons to press... but, I can't seem to get the time on it correct. I'll wait to see the code update if it will fix it.

*btw*We have three of these floating around the MSP430 office :-) Lots of excitement. AdrianF is still waiting for his inductors to make it through the belly of the TI mail system, but couple of our interns/trainees have already put orders on OSH Park for extra boards, so Thank you Cube for designing something that got everyone excited over here!

*btw*We have three of these floating around the MSP430 office :smile: Lots of excitement. AdrianF is still waiting for his inductors to make it through the belly of the TI mail system, but couple of our interns/trainees have already put orders on OSH Park for extra boards, so Thank you Cube for designing something that got everyone excited over here!

Stuff looks good.

If they want PCBs. I have 30 that came in last week. I'll put them in the Store today.

Edit: It's here.

I'd love to see the board in purple :) I've been so excited that these are floating around TI that my wife has been making fun of me.

Setting time should actually be working just fine - I'm working on temperature functionality right now.

You should be able to hold the "Mode" button for a bit to get it to switch into settings mode (I think it's 2-3 seconds). From there, hitting the middle button (STG = setting) should advance position (indicated by flashing dots or flashing numbers depending on what setting you're modifying). The VAL button will advance values and a short press of MODE will decrement the value. Holding the VAL button will do a fast-advance.

The one thing that's a little tricky is that I use the interrupt for debouncing, and it doesn't register a click until you let up, and you have to hold it for 250 MS.

I've made some changes to the settings so that messages are displayed when you drop into settings mode and as you advance through sections of settings, and I'm not 100% sure those are up on the Git repository. So I guess the update next week will actually contain some updates outside of temperature. I'll make sure to post some additional directions when I post the update.

Yes, also known as the absolute BEST USB Expansion port ever. I had to fight a few people in my office for that at the white elephant a few years ago :smile:

Turns out the segments missing weren't from the tube not being soldered right, but rather my inability to solder surface mount correctly. One of my co-workers let me use the lab's microscope to check the connections and I was slightly horrified how ugly it looked... needless, it's been repaired and now all the segments work. (if anyone is missing segments, it's probably the driver, not the tube). I'm getting him to post his tube when he's done, he got frustrated with the through-hole tube wires and ended up just surface mounting the tube (not sure it was any easier, but it worked and looked really good, could be a solution for anyone that messed up thier tube).

As Larissa mentioned, I was impatient when trying to get all the pins of the tube in the through holes, so I just ended up cutting all the pins down, bending them to be flat on the PCB and soldering this way(DIY surface mount). See the picture below. It works fine and makes the tube flush with the PCB. I am also having problems with setting the clock. When I hold down the mode button for a few seconds and release, the tube turns off. I am able to select 12hr or 24hr by holding the STG switch though.

8186557700_34c9273952.jpg

SMD_Tube by Eddie_TI, on Flickr

Ok - I'm an idiot. You have to hold STG to drop into settings mode. MODE switches between modes (Clock, Alarm and Temp - more can be added in code). Clock and Alarm have settings modes, Temp doesn't right now, although it will eventually to switch between F and C. I just comitted my code to the GIT repository. Can you guys grab a new copy and try it out? I think the code you're working on doesn't have working modes for anything except clock. Oh - and the updated code has some UART debugging - it dumps out anything sent through the "override" function - so you can use a terminal app to do some debugging.

Eddie - OMG - how in the world did you manage that? Did you solder from the other side of the PCB? It actually looks pretty damn good - makes me wonder if I should create an SMD footprint for it. It would have to be a big bigger to make it a bit easier. You're probably lucky the tube didn't crack - I've heard some vacuum tubes can if you heat pins too close to the glass.

One suggestion for everyone else trying to put the pins into the board - they bend pretty well. You only need a little bit of each one pulled through - that way you're not dealing with a lot of bending. Once you get them all in - then you can push the tube closer to the PCB.

Got mine up and running a few days ago, figured I'd show it off here. When I first powered it on the tube displayed gibberish and the display driver was over heating. I found I had soldered the right angle headers on the wrong side of the tube PCB.. After fixing my mistake the clock works fine :thumbup:cAbCt.jpg