cubeberg

[S]IV-18 VFD Clock Booster Pack

Ok... First post.

I purchased the kit. More as a refresher for C, and just to build something again.

The clock kit looks good. however, my ignorance of CCS is kicking my butt.

I can get the program into debug, but that is about it. The blinking led stops so I know it is communicating... Just not sure of a good place to start.

post-34887-0-96317600-1387326651_thumb.jpg

@@dred - couple of things to check out -

• did you get the crystal soldered in?
  • Is the red LED blinking every 30 seconds?

That will tell you if the crystal is working correctly.  

Do you have the 5v hooked up to the correct pad on the booster?  If you've got a multimeter - check to see what voltage you're getting on either side of the diode.  You should see 5v on one side and 30-50v on the other.

Also - if you see anything glowing red inside of the tube at any time - pull it out.  It means you've got the tube soldered in wrong.

If you don't have any luck there - send me a nice clear pic of the top of the main board - maybe I can spot something there.

Hope you get it working!

P.S. - Thanks for buying the kit!

**edited-

Somehow I missed the 5v jumper. It is loaded now, and functioning without the crystal enabled... I'll work on that next.

Thanks!

post-34887-0-16352800-1387391687_thumb.jpg

post-34887-0-93057500-1387391707_thumb.jpg

Fantastic!  Are you just seeing the "Startup" message?  If so - that means your crystal is your only hurdle at that point.  Post pics of the crystal as well if you continue to have trouble.  Worst case - you could pick up a 32.768 crystal in a through-hole package - there's a footprint for it on the board.

Assembled my Clock Kit yesterday.  Works pretty nicely except for the rightmost digit; it appears to be dead.  The temperature sensor is reading about 5 degrees above the room temp.

post-3-0-65653500-1387545279_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-81202600-1387545271_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluehash
[ADMIN] Please upload all your posts to 43oh.

Startup is displayed with the crystal. A group of us at work bought several kits to have fun with. We tried different LPs, and the test code for the crystal. We will most likely just get new crystals since they all seem to behave the same.

Thanks for all the help!

Fantastic!  Are you just seeing the "Startup" message?  If so - that means your crystal is your only hurdle at that point.  Post pics of the crystal as well if you continue to have trouble.  Worst case - you could pick up a 32.768 crystal in a through-hole package - there's a footprint for it on the board.

Assembled my Clock Kit yesterday.  Works pretty nicely except for the rightmost digit; it appears to be dead.  The temperature sensor is reading about 5 degrees above the room temp.

@@gwdeveloper - That's too bad!  I think @@bluehash is out of tubes right now, but should be getting in more (they take a while to ship from Russia).  It wouldn't be too difficult to update the library to skip one of the blinking decimals for now.  

I've never had good luck with the temperature sensor unfortunately - I'm wondering if the electronics on the board are putting off some heat or possibly an issue with the one-wire library.  I need to do some testing to see if I can clean that up - the response I get from the assembly function contains junk data sometimes.  There's a possibility that the interrupts for the display refresh are the problem.

Startup is displayed with the crystal. A group of us at work bought several kits to have fun with. We tried different LPs, and the test code for the crystal. We will most likely just get new crystals since they all seem to behave the same.

Thanks for all the help!

@@dred - Fantastic!  The crystal is a small hurdle thankfully.  I've had several other people state that they had trouble with their crystal - not sure if a batch of LP's went out with a problem.  Seems like way too many people for coincidence. 

That must be where all those kits went last month - hadn't seen much movement for a month and then a ton of them sold!