cubeberg

[S]IV-18 VFD Clock Booster Pack

Yep! I do web app development for the USAF (civil-service). At least for now... Just got notice that I'm probably getting cut due to the budget shenanigans.

Ironic that I wanted a civil-service job because I thought it would be so stable. :-(

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear that GD - I hope things turn out well.  Thankfully - .Net is still in serious demand.  Hopefully it won't be too difficult to find something else if it comes to that.

Yep! I do web app development for the USAF (civil-service). At least for now... Just got notice that I'm probably getting cut due to the budget shenanigans.

Ironic that I wanted a civil-service job because I thought it would be so stable. :-(

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear that too, GD. Hope you find something soon.

Sorry to hear that GD - I hope things turn out well.  Thankfully - .Net is still in serious demand.  Hopefully it won't be too difficult to find something else if it comes to that.

Sorry to hear that too, GD. Hope you find something soon.

Thanks, guys.  :)  I'm sure I'll find something.

Guys, just found a little typo in the library:

http://doc.43oh.com/BoosterPack:IV-18_VFD_Clock

Where it says:

Your Launchpad should have shipped with a 13.768kHz crystal.

Should say:

Your Launchpad should have shipped with a 32.768kHz crystal.

Nothing to be very fussy about, but it could mess up someone's ideas :)

I need some help....

I can't get the number right,and also when i plug in to my computer , it shows that "can't recognize usb device"

post-3-0-99226400-1387545045_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluehash
[ADMIN] Please upload your files to 43oh, next time

Sorry to ask but... are those copper wires enameled? They look like bare copper and shorted... Which fits well with what can be seen in the display.

What's their function?

Gaston

Well....

The copper wire is to connect the IC ( I broke the PCB when replace the MAX6921),and I check the wire not shorted 

Also the situation is the same before replacement

Thanks for reply  :)

Hm - what do you mean that you can't get the number right?  It could possibly be your tube - I've had certain digits not work.  It could also be that you don't have a good connection between the tube and board.

The "Can't recognize USB Device" error concerns me - did it happen the first time you plugged it in?  I'm assuming not since it looks like you're running code on the msp430.  It's a possibility you've damaged the Launchpad somehow - fried the TIUSB device or something.  

the display is as the picture shows that didn't display the number right, and I'v check the connection between the tube and IC

I think the msp430 isn't damage because I still can upload the code

oh I notice another thing , when I unplug the USB ,every digit will shine....

post-3-0-40545900-1387545120_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if the tube were damage or the power 
But anyway ....I still need a new board beacuse I broke part of it 

Ok - I think I figured it out.  You soldered the headers into the tube board incorrectly - it should have been soldered into the other side.  There is a small bit of text on the board that says something like "headers go in here".

You can see the correct direction here: http://doc.43oh.com/images/4/4c/IV-18_vfd_boosterpack_msp430_launchpad.jpghttp://doc.43oh.com/images/4/4c/IV-18_vfd_boosterpack_msp430_launchpad.jpg

Since it's backwards - I'm honestly surprised you haven't fried your tube.  Are you seeing anything red inside the tube?  You're probably driving the filament at 50v when it should be something like 2.3v.  

Until you get that fixed - do not plug in your tube board!

If you're able to program the chip - that's good.  Maybe it's the UART that's not being recognized?  I'd check device manager to see if you've got a device without drivers when you plug in the LP.

Maybe the power source (PC) was overload so windows can't recognize :smile:    

I did seen the red line when using  iPad's charger........

Great thanks :grin:  ,now I need a new board plus a tube and figure how to fix this one :smile:

Here's a quick pic of the IV-21 tube.  I need to do some more tests on the stability of the boost circuit.  It took a few component changes (still need to identify an inductor from DigiKey - using a cheap one right now) and a new adapter board, but it's working on the same main board as the IV-18 VFD.  

I ordered some other VFD tubes - hoping to come up with some other clock variations :)

FYI - don't forget to check out @@Mybuster's VFD clock as well! - http://forum.43oh.com/topic/4572-vfd-tube-clock-with-msp430/

post-1690-0-96462100-1384277793_thumb.jpg