[S]IV-18 VFD Clock Booster Pack

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Success!   The only issue so far - I flipped the header for the plug-in board for the tube in the schematic and didn't flip it on the PCB. Had to solder it on the other side, no big deal.   I'm c

Update - demo video recorded and added to first post!

Whaaaa, 22 ohms isn't the same as 22k? *smackface*  

Posted Images

I finally got my tube up. It was a bad boost chip after the initial testing. It looks beautiful!

A few issues on mine:

1. I don't see any dots. I checked the solder points on the tube, they all look good. Do you know which pin controls the dots? Maybe I'll wet it again.

2. When I click the Mode button, it goes blank. I've soldered my buttons at an offset(see pic)

Edit: - Buttons work, but no dots

WP_002716.jpg

WP_002717.jpg

I finally got my tube up. It was a bad boost chip after the initial testing. It looks beautiful!

A few issues on mine:

1. I don't see any dots. I checked the solder points on the tube, they all look good. Do you know which pin controls the dots? Maybe I'll wet it again.

Hi, it is the pin #2. looking from the "bottom" of the tube (e.g. the wire side) and with the digits side on the left, is the pin on the right side just under the #1 that is one of the filament pins (the other is the #13 on the opposite side). See this datasheet: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/dat_arch/IV-18.pdf

Hi, it is the pin #2. looking from the "bottom" of the tube (e.g. the wire side) and with the digits side on the left, is the pin on the right side just under the #1 that is one of the filament pins (the other is the #13 on the opposite side). See this datasheet: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/dat_arch/IV-18.pdf

Thanks amaze1

A few issues on mine:

2. When I click the Mode button, it goes blank. I've soldered my buttons at an offset(see pic)

Edit: - Buttons work, but no dots

attachicon.gifWP_002716.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_002717.jpg

Bluehash - looks like it's OUT16 on the VFD chip - pin 6.

Thanks Cube.. looks like that pin is shit. I resoldered everything, but the dots won't display. Anyway, it works great without the dots, so np. This board has been through alot.

Yeah - it definitely happens.  I had one where a couple of digits stopped working after banging it around quite a bit (it was the tube I used for the original prototype).  I couldn't see anything visibly wrong in the tube, not sure what exactly ended up being damaged.

Yeah - it definitely happens.  I had one where a couple of digits stopped working after banging it around quite a bit (it was the tube I used for the original prototype).  I couldn't see anything visibly wrong in the tube, not sure what exactly ended up being damaged.

I re-read my comment.. I meant "shot", not "shit"... Hehehe

Has anyone tested their temperature sensor?  I'm wondering what kind of temperatures people are seeing.  My board with the 1.0 design seems to run high (~80 degrees F), possibly affected by the cheap inductor?  My 1.1 board with the new inductor seems to be more accurate - between 72 and 75 most of the time in my living room.  I'll eventually have to run a sensor off the board and see how it compares.