Sign in to follow this  
GeekDoc

What's the typical SMD size used here?

I've seen several nice boards here that use SMD parts (indeed, I own a few). I want to get one of the SMD resistor/capacitor starter kits that come in binder form with a good supply of a variety of values.

Do I get the 0805 kit, or the 0603? Or, do I need both?

0805 has higher wattage rating, so better if you are using them for current setting on leds. 0805 is about the high limit on hand soldering, but 0603 can be done, but better for solder paste melting.

Once you get 0805, you will hunger for 0603. Just get both :)

I thought 0805 will be my bottom line, now I have more 0603 parts than any other.

I would go for smaller kits and then get most common values from Avnet (free shipping deal should be coming soon) or Tayda for example.

I love 0603 parts, they're well within my capability, cheap and plentiful and offer much board flexibility due to its small size. I bought some limited 0805 and 1206/1210 parts where wattage or capacitance called for it.

Get all of them :). You'll learn technique and grow confident over time on the big ones, and smaller ones come naturally later. You may also want to consider some sort of magnification, a desk stand magnifier or a head band one -- even x2-x4 helps a lot, if you need it. A x10 or so jeweler's loupe is very nice for verification (but not for actual soldering work, obviously), and of course good lighting and flux :). Other than that, experiment :).

Once you get 0805, you will hunger for 0603. Just get both :)
Get all of them :). You'll learn technique and grow confident over time on the big ones, and smaller ones come naturally later. You may also want to consider some sort of magnification... and of course good lighting and flux :)

Thanks Rob & gordon. I think I will go with both kits. I've blown more $ on less useful stuff :lol: .

I have a lighted, desk-mounted magnifier that works pretty well for me, and a loupe for inspecting. I also have some liquid flux I really like. I started out with Tix liquid flux that I liked, and now I have some liquid flux that I got from DealExtreme that works just as well. I've tried some thicker ones, but I really like the water-thin types.

I don't know whats wrong with you people! I hand solder 0402 and have more of that than most other stuff... which is sometimes a problem when working with other peoples stuff... but the 0402 can be soldered to fit 0603 and 0805 pads.

I don't know whats wrong with you people! I hand solder 0402 and have more of that than most other stuff... which is sometimes a problem when working with other peoples stuff... but the 0402 can be soldered to fit 0603 and 0805 pads.

This is true, SA, but you are an SMD god.