43oh

Mailbox Notifier

Very cool project. Question for ya on the msp430 jeenode code. Was this tricky to set up and do you have any suggestions on using them? I've got a pair of rfm12b's as well and have been considering trying them out sometime. Just want to know what sort of issues you ran into (if any) while playing with them.

Hi,

I have to say that I was about to give up on the RFM12B's before I found the MSP430 Jeenode code.

I was simply not able to get the modules working. Once I had the Jeenode code, things went fairly quick.

The protocol I am using is fairly naive and simplistic (on top of the Jeenode sutff): 1-byte packet type, and 1-byte payload :D .

Once I got things working, I did run into a couple of things:

First, The module only has a 8-bit receiver FIFO. So once the module signals that there is data, it must be read straight away.

Second, for the module in the mailbox I needed good battery time. As the module does not receive anything, it was fairly easy to get done (but still took a couple of hours to figure out). In the case where data should be received as well, there is a way to improve battery life, but I haven't tried it yet. Unfortunately, the reference manual for the modules is not the best out there, meaning that a lot of trial and error is needed.

I'll get the code ready for public eyes soon. Currently it's a bit scattered across my computer :oops: .

Did you use this tool to configure the RFM12B :

http://tools.jeelabs.org/rfm12b ?

Hmm.. I think I have seen that site before. But no, I didn't use it -- I just stuck with the defaults in the MSP430 code :-).

I have some more RF-projects coming up, but I think those will be based on the CC2500 instead of RFM12. Mostly because I have quite a few CC2500 modules lying around.