43oh

AIR Boosterpack RF spectrum display

Hi all,

One of the things I wanted to build using the Anaren AIR boosterpack was a mini spectrum "analyzer" or spectrum display. During my holiday i found time to play around with both the AIR boosterpack and the LCD module Lars has produced.

Although the AIR boosterpack was designed for 868/915 Mhz it seems the receiver inside (CC110L) is sensitive also in the 433Mhz region. The code I share with this mail allows the user (by changing a define) to switch between 3 frequencybands. Two buttons of the LCD package allow change of RX bandwidth and channelwidth.

THe screenshot below shows a typical readout in the 433 Mhz band in a room where a Lacross TX3TH temperature/humidity sensor is sending data every minute using an OOK protocol (Request: if anybody knows how to receive/decode OOK using a CC110L please inform me). The display shows the low and high frequency in Mhz and shows the frequency with the highest readout (RSSI in dB) in kHz and as a blinking line in the graph.

post-10448-135135558462_thumb.jpg

If you want to know more about this mini spectrum display or have other comments, feel free to share them.

regards

CorB

spectrum.zip

glcd.zip

Cool project. Thanks

For OOK you may be able to look at the Carrier Sense and define CS as an output on the output pin of the Cc1101. There is also a separate mode for the cc1101 that turns off packet control (synchronous mode??? ) which is used for this sort of thing. The cc1101 is designed as a very flexible chip to replace old tech implementations for sensors, garage openers etc.

There is an ook mode also, and you can use smartrf studio to get the right parameters. Then the first powerlevel configs are used to say if it shiuld be ask or ook. But in this case you need to know the bitrate, and the protocol needs to have same length of on and off bits. Many of the protocols use length of the pulse to indicate low and high, which makes CS a good option I think.

Hi Lars,

Thanks, Ive looked for OOK code examples are quite some place on the TI site but next to some guidance on how to use the AGCTRL settings I havent found any basic coding. Would be neat to read the temperature/humidity of my inside/outside sensors using the boosterpack. I will start experimenting to get the output of the receiver onto GDO2 (P1.0).

regards

Cor

See more of this at MSP430 meets LaCrosse Temperature/Humidity sensor TX3TH

P.S. Ive found good information on the sensors

http://ftp.f6fbb.org/domo/sensors/tx_signals.php

http://ftp.f6fbb.org/domo/sensors/tx3_th.php

@CorbB

Have you talked with Anaren about a 433 Mhz version of the booster pack?

This page http://www.anaren.com/air/cc110l-air-module-boosterpack lists a 433 version but it does not seem to be released yet. I would think the "European 868-870MHz and US 902-928MHz ISM bands" version's antenna would not be tuned very well for 433 Mhz. I need one with good range at 433.

@CorbB

Have you talked with Anaren about a 433 Mhz version of the booster pack?

This page http://www.anaren.com/air/cc110l-air-module-boosterpack lists a 433 version but it does not seem to be released yet. I would think the "European 868-870MHz and US 902-928MHz ISM bands" version's antenna would not be tuned very well for 433 Mhz. I need one with good range at 433.

Hi,

For my purpose the current boosterpack at 868 works fine. I am currently reading an inside sensor about 7 m away and one outside at 15m . To boost sensitivity Ive made the RX bandwidth a lot smaller. In the original code its >800kHz, I am now down to 300Khz which has increased the signal quality a lot. Current best channelsetting is 40.

But if you want a longer range I would suggest going for a simple separate 433Mhz receivermodule. You can see examples of the type (Aurel I believe) in the Arduino weatherstation setup.

CorB

• 1 month later...