43oh

Hate mail : Need your input

Hello guys,

I normally get a lot of hate mail regarding not showing any images or letting users download any files unless they are logged in or registered. I really thought alot about this before and figured that letting users register in a way lets the community grow. Many visitors just come in, download files and leave without thanking the person who wrote all that code or shared his/her experience. It takes under 30 seconds to register... unless you get caught in the spam filter.

Here is the latest one sent a few minutes ago. If you do not know, only files from the projects section are downloadable without registering. I made sure to keep that open. Its been like that for two years now. I'm sure this mail came from a visitor through HaD, although it does not matter.

Hello

These sites make me laugh. "You do not have the required permissions

to view the files attached to this post".

FYI. I generally immediately leave sites that do this. I'm not joining

to read one post because I've been linked from another site, and I'm

not hanging around a half working site, even if there may be something

else worth staying for. If it's a secret, don't hint that it's there

and don't post it.

What do you guys say? I had to vent a little, sorry.

Edit: I've opened the BoosterPack section for the HaD traffic, temporarily.

I have always thought this to be... strange, to put it this way, but then, since I am registered, it does not matter to me :). Other sites where I need a file or three from (mostly bumped into by the grace of Google) I register, grab the stuff, never to return. I will never be a community there just as these people won't be a community here, so what you are left with is basically stuffing in the board database. What good is that for?

Dont let it get you down blue the forum is awesome and I think it has been a great success!

10000 + registered is proof of that.

If they want to see and or download files for an awesome project bad enough they will register,

it only takes a minute even if they are a 1 timer.

Maybe after a year or so the inactive accounts should go away.

just a thought.

Keep up the good work.

I would say to let images be downloadable and files require registration. Sometimes someone is just looking for info about a project and not being able to see the schematics or photos could be irritating to some. Especially when you aren't sure if it's a quality site. (I know this is how I feel sometimes)

Allowing images could also lead to linking from other forums and possibly more traffic.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

I kinda see why people get irritated, but I also see your point about getting thank yous.

Would it be possible to allow anonymous users to thank?

If not I'd rather have the whole forum open, sure we might not get as many people registering straight away, but those actually interested will register, and you will get less of that crap in the first post, and more traffic for the adverts.

IMHO images and files should be open completely. If they want to contribute to the topic or create something new here they will join. Otherwise... It's more hassle than anything. I know I've sent people links to stuff on here and they don't see the images... most of them aren't going to join for it either, but they would benefit educationally from having access to it.

Open hardware, open software... open forums? (Well, not completely open, we do hate spammers)

I agree with Gordon entirely. Forcing registration only increases the number of email addresses on the list, it doesn't increase the size of the community.

If it were me, I'd keep it all open. I don't see any benefit to locking content behind a free registration.

Some of the biggest forums do this. Off the top of my head (read: daily websites) XDA-Developers, Slickdeals, Fatwallet, (and I forgot the fourth). This keeps bandwidth down, people who want to download the files still can while preventing random spiders from downloading them. Hell, you could always make a download only account that people can use.