Sign in to follow this  
bluehash

MTK3339 GPS BoosterPack - Pictures

Made this to test out the MTK3339 GPS we got through the group buy. All buyers get a free boosterpack. Thanks for making it a success.
Code: Thanks to Robg
Thanks to dkedr for providing the MTK3339 GPS footprint

Features:
- BoosterPack also acts as breakout board.
- 3d fix led. Led goes out when a fix is obtained.
- PPS/FIX/RX/TX/VCC/GND broken out.
- Boosterpack connects to RX/TX of the LP. There are also solder jumpers in case you want to use some other pins to save your serial port.

Required for v1.1
- Battery holder- thanks dkedr.

Below shows testing with the GPS. No MSP430 chip underneath. I'm using EarthBridge software to test the NMEA string.
msp430_mtk3339_gps_launchpad.png

msp430_mtk3339_gps_boosterpack.jpg

msp430_mtk3339_gps_boosterPack_launchpad.jpg

Rob's Demo on a 5110 Nokia LCD:
gpsparsed.jpeg

Those are some sweet as results. I'll change the eagle foot print to make the solid square silkscreen into an outline, might help future troubleshooting.

Wow!!! Incredible work as always and thanks for sharing! ...and gosh darnit! Why did you have to blur out the specific cordinates, I was planning this weekend to travel over there and steal it! :twisted:

Thanks. I think Dkedr and Rob need to be thanked more. I helped put all the pieces together.

Also, blame Rob for the blur. I would never have blurred my images if he did not do it to his.

One other thing. I'm not sure about accuracy, but the co-ordinates were good enough to show my bedroom side in a 4-apartment unit.

Capture.PNG

Thanks. I think Dkedr and Rob need to be thanked more. I helped put all the pieces together.

Also, blame Rob for the blur. I would never have blurred my images if he did not do it to his.

One other thing. I'm not sure about accuracy, but the co-ordinates were good enough to show my bedroom side in a 4-apartment unit.

[attachment=0]Capture.PNG[/attachment]

So this thing was able to tell you where you were while indoors?

How long did it take to get the lock?

Just curious -- what's the reason for that large hole under the GPS module on the board? I know that the datasheet recommends it, but why?

How about a v0.2?

The only thing I didn't add is the CR2032 holder because I couldn't find one in my eagle libraries, but there is plenty of space to add one

EDIT: added a header for the NC pins, just in case one of the forum members discovers that those pins do something cool.

GPS.png

43oh GPS booster.zip

Anyone have issues with their GPS getting a lock?  I have a quick program polling the 3DFIX line and showing its state on the P1.0 LED on my v1.5 LP ... It never stops blinking.  I am indoors and this building is pretty sturdy though, brick & metal, so perhaps I should try by a window, but it's been at it for over 20 minutes and no fix!

I also noticed my v0.1 boosterpack seems to have the 1PPS/3DFIX silkscreen labels backwards on the 6-pin header up top; I visually traced them out and looked up the corresponding pins on the GPS.  Seems the wiring is all correct, just those labels are backwards.  Might confirm that later with a multimeter.

edit: Nevermind, it got a fix sitting next to a window.  Lost it pretty soon after taking it further into the building.  Must be the building then :D

Anyone have issues with their GPS getting a lock?  I have a quick program polling the 3DFIX line and showing its state on the P1.0 LED on my v1.5 LP ... It never stops blinking.  I am indoors and this building is pretty sturdy though, brick & metal, so perhaps I should try by a window, but it's been at it for over 20 minutes and no fix!

I also noticed my v0.1 boosterpack seems to have the 1PPS/3DFIX silkscreen labels backwards on the 6-pin header up top; I visually traced them out and looked up the corresponding pins on the GPS.  Seems the wiring is all correct, just those labels are backwards.  Might confirm that later with a multimeter.

Will check when I get home.

My loks was within 2 minutes.