bluehash

Ideas for a 43oh MSP430 badge.

I was just looking over DP's badge and was wondering if we can have some ideas going for 43oh/msp430

Requirements(??)

- Leverage Rob's nanopad design.

- Low power

- LCD? like kenneth's LCD

OR LEDs like Nike Fuel.

-OR OLED strip(price goes up!)

- sold as a kit with parts

- programmable via the Launchpad

- Low cost(

- Not too big

- SMD components, because people need to learn to solder them.

- Button cell

- Pins broken out

- CC2500 radio port?

I feel this will be a good community discussion in getting our ideas/needs together. Looking forward to more ideas.

Was thinking about project ideas last night and thought of a 43oh badge - noticed there was already a thread for this - so I'm posting here instead of starting a new one.  I figured that we all have extra MSP430's from our launchpad kits, so a quick program based on the extra chip that comes with the LP might be good.  I figured it would need to run on a coin cell (CR2032) and a prototyping area would be nice as well.  A lot of badges I've seen are pretty simple - a couple of LEDs and a button might be nice.  I've attached an initial mock-up.  The battery is SMD, but I figured I'd stick with PTH since there are a lot of people not comfortable with SMD yet.  

Is it something people would be interested in?  

post-1690-0-10849100-1362834368_thumb.png

Was thinking about project ideas last night and thought of a 43oh badge - noticed there was already a thread for this - so I'm posting here instead of starting a new one.  I figured that we all have extra MSP430's from our launchpad kits, so a quick program based on the extra chip that comes with the LP might be good.  I figured it would need to run on a coin cell (CR2032) and a prototyping area would be nice as well.  A lot of badges I've seen are pretty simple - a couple of LEDs and a button might be nice.  I've attached an initial mock-up.  The battery is SMD, but I figured I'd stick with PTH since there are a lot of people not comfortable with SMD yet.  

Is it something people would be interested in?  

Building up on the idea.. anyway to illuminate 43oh?

- All pins go to proto pins as you said

- Also need programming header on the side.

- Magnet at the back.

Building up on the idea.. anyway to illuminate 43oh?

- All pins go to proto pins as you said

- Also need programming header on the side.

- Magnet at the back.

I was thinking about cutting out the insides of the letters and adding LEDs inside to illuminate - similar to this maker fare badge

post-1690-0-49628500-1362844983_thumb.jpg

The other option would be to put a stop mask and no copper and illuminate from the back.  I've been thinking about doing some test - I might send in a small board to OSHPark to test.

Any requirements on the programming header?  I usually do a 4-pin VCC,GND, RST,TST header.  The plan is also to make it a socket so it could be removed if needed

I'll have to poke around a bit to see if I can find a good pin to use - another alternative would be a large metal area that a magnet could attach to. If you have any products - let me know.

I had originally made the badge area a bit smaller than 5x5, but once I realized how big the battery will be - I think I'm going to have to take up as much space as I can.  I still plan on keeping the odd shape at the top though.

Why not use two boards? Inset SMD leds and solder on the back side of a thicker rear board the same shape as a front board.  The front board is thin, has black mask and white lettering.  Could even cap touch the front board to change the leds on the back.  If there's a small space in there and some diffusion, it would illuminate the letters :)

It looks as if the 1" 96x64 and 128x64 OLED modules are getting cheap enough now, and IIRC they are pretty low power.  This is something I would be interested in....

How about this idea? It makes the badge useful for other stuff too. It should have a selling point/purpose.

I think we should work the other way round. Figure out the badge cost first before we design it. It will help us come to a better conclusion.

Badge price including manufacturing and assembly should be <$5. It will probably sell at cost. $5 is kind of a sweet post or $4.99

So far:

1. Fixed 43oh

2. OLED, probably 96x16, simple ckt, but needs to run on battery. - $?

3. Proto Area - $1 PCB

4. Programming header.

5. Cap touch -  two buttons - $0

6. DIP or SMD MSP430?  - DIP $1.57

3,4 and 5 are essential

So I haven't been following the goings-on in the 43oh store.  For items that are sold assembled, who does the assembly?  Is this done by forum members or a build shop?  For anyone working at anything close to real wages, assembly will be far and away the largest cost.

I haven't been tracking OLED prices or the modules required to drive them, but I am seeing prices in the $5 - $10 range on eBay, so I can't see a $5 price point at all possible based on this alone.  I think this is really going to be driven by finding a good deal on some quantity of OLED hardware and working from there.

Perhaps someone who has more experience with OLEDs can provide some more details here...

I think DIP MSP430 would help since it would reduce parts cost  since most folks have an extra laying around - but SMD would free up a lot of area.  QFN would be even smaller - maybe we could look at getting Elecrow to kit most of the parts & solder the MSP430 only?

We would need a physical reset button - these are nice and low profile - I would consider them accessible even to non-SMD folks.  However, PTH switches are obviously cheaper.  

How much of this would people be willing to do as SMD?  SMD caps and resistors for the MSP430 circuit would conserve a lot of space.  I consider 0805 pretty simple, but I've got good eyesight and pretty steady hands.

I love the cap touch idea as well - I had already thought about adding a couple.  Making the letters touch buttons would be a great idea.

Why not use two boards? Inset SMD leds and solder on the back side of a thicker rear board the same shape as a front board.  The front board is thin, has black mask and white lettering.  Could even cap touch the front board to change the leds on the back.  If there's a small space in there and some diffusion, it would illuminate the letters

As long as people are OK with SMD - I think that's doable.  I'd probably suggest making just "43oh" the thin front board and separate the two with male headers soldered to both sides.

I like the OLED idea - as long as it doesn't drain a lot of power.  I have the same concern as rockets4kids though - I think that would blow the price point.  

For items that are sold assembled, who does the assembly?

I believe they have all, to date, been done by forum members.  We're exploring some manufacturing options though. Elecrow is doing a kit for us - pricing has been really good - we're going to test everything out to see what quality looks like.

I've had a similar idea floating around my head, was thinking SMD all the way with huge captouch buttons and a WS2811 5050 SMD LED. The general thought was a low-cost electronic business card. Thought black soldermask would suit it well.

I don't mind soldering 0603 SMD personally, and 0.65mm pitch TSSOP is a joy IMO.

Sent from my C3PO via Tapatalk