Hi

I just read your project with great interest.

I think the use of python is interesting if i can use all the modules available with this high level language (cloud access, cryptographic modules, email messages, ftp / udp client / server).

For use in low-level control cards I find the IDE ENERGIA more effective and easy to access compared to TEXAS CCS.

I'm currently using Python modules with my Raspberry and MSP430 Launchpad  or Stellaris Launchpad  with ENERGIA , connected by a serial link, and I get the best worlds as provided by the two modules.

Obviously these are just my own observations.

JCR

This is really interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing this. Maybe this would get people in my more interested in electronics!

Hi all, 

Believe it or not I am still working heavily on the mpy project in my spare time.

Sorry for the slow response. I haven't check this site for a while. 

@pbe  Are you still having problems with the driver removal?

If so please visit the following page:

http://www.mpyprojects.com/software/mpy-editor/iar-kickstart-setup/

It describes how to swap between using the IAR tool and mpyEditor and visa-versa.

It does cover the removal of the mpy Editor driver. 

-mpymike

@JCR

I think the use of python is interesting if i can use all the modules available with this high level language (cloud access, cryptographic modules, email messages, ftp / udp client / server).

Unfortunately the modules you looking for are way too complex to fit onto a 16k MSP430 microcontroller.

So far Mpy is only for the MSP430 microcontroller family

MPY supports a small subset of the language and none of the python modules.

MPY uses the Python syntax.  It is supposed to be dead simple to use, with none of the

clutter you get using a conventional microcontroller C language. All variables are signed integers.

and there is no support for classes and objects etc. 

You might be better off trying the Stellaris Launchpad instead, it has way more memory.

-mpymike

I would love to make Mpy object oriented, but currently it's not practical.

Under the hood Mpy is really a precompiler, it translates the code to C and it uses the 

mspgcc compiler to create the assembly code. This technique works well for

simple constructs, but trying to map Python objects to c++ objects in an efficient

way seems impractical using the precompiler approach.

To support c++ would require developing a dedicated Python compiler, which is a much larger

project, but not out of the question.

My main focus for Mpy is going to be on the hardware side of the project.

Providing some simple commands for driving LCDs, servo motors, speakers etc.

All the things that will make it more easy and fun to use.

-mpymike

And how would that differ from what Energia is doing? It would be a shame if there would be 2 projects doing basically the same. I suggest you use the Energia libraries as back end and just provide a python interface to it.

Depending on how you look at it they are similar.

The main difference and advantage is that it uses the Mpy language rather

than C (or Sketch).  Which is easier to for beginners to use.

I just did a quick look at the Energia libraries to see if I could use them within Mpy

instead of rolling my own. It might be possible to do so but I would need to

take a closer look, the devil would be in the detail.  First impressions though

are that the LCD library has a lot of functions which I intentionally havn't

implemented to keep the code small and minimalistic.

-mpymike 

Just my two cents, and by no means am I an expert on the subject.

This is the first time I have taken a look at your project. In concept, I really like the idea. The "IDE"  looks nice too.

Having done a bit of toying around with the Energia toolchain myself, I would not think it would be any harder to use G++ as a post compiler than GCC. But again, I am not expert, and in fact I am still learning quite a bit myself yet. With that said, I think if you somehow incorporated mspdebug, and perhaps the option of using GCC/G++ directly that you'd have a winner on your hands.

As it stands, for me personally I have quite a large time investment in learning the mspgcc(Energia) toolchain, so I would balk at the idea of moving to a different build system. Right now, I am even seriously considering building my own intermediate tool to use msp430-gcc, msp430-g++, and mspdebug. As kind of a "pet" project that I am in by no means in a huge hurry to get done.

Thanks!

The mpyEditor uses mspgcc, I haven't tried using g++ as I didn't think there was a need.

I would not want to use any c++ constructs unless there is an obvious advantage,

and my knowledge of it is too limited.

However the mpyEditor will quite happily compile directly from C source, it doesn't need to be mpy,

I shall be uploading a new mpyEditor version in the next week, as I found out that the Launchpad driver install

wasn't working under w8. This will use mspdebug tilib msp430.dll instead of the mspdebug rf2500 libusb driver.

This should make swapping between Energia and mpyEditor a little cleaner.

-mpymike