43oh

CAN Booster Pack

Well this is the minimalist version, the LaunchCAN still needs to be finalized in my head. None the less this one is probably what would interest people the most.

post-10240-135135548344_thumb.jpg

If you catch any errors let me know.

Pins currently used:

1 - CAN Bus Interrupt Pin

7 - UCB0 CLK

14 - UCB0 SIMO

15 - UCB0 SOMI

16 - RESET

18 - STE for MCP2525

19 - AutoBaud feature of TI SN64HVD235

And the BOM of course:

• [*:3u4zlitu]Microchip MCP2515 CAN Controller (MCP2515-E/SO).
    [*:3u4zlitu]TI SN64HVD235 CAN Transceiver (SN65HVD235D).
    [*:3u4zlitu]16Mhz Crystal
    [*:3u4zlitu]2x 22pf Capacitors
    [*:3u4zlitu]0.1uF Capacitor
    [*:3u4zlitu]5x2pin Male Header (conforming to CANopen spec's for DE-9 Connection)
    [*:3u4zlitu]Phoenix 1923898 Socket (CANopen type)
    [*:3u4zlitu]2x 10pin Female Headers

You'd also need a Phoenix 1911994 Terminal block to mate with the socket.

Jim

Booster.brd

The MSP is low power, so might as well try and keep our boosters from being power hogs with LED's hence why I left LED's out in the first place.

Anyways here is the Schematic. Also added a termination resistor in case this is the last node in a line and you wanted something more permanent then Jerry rigging the resistor on the outside of the open connector.

Jim

booster.sch

booster.brd

Added a power supply 9 to 72V and it has a switch now to select whether the input is from the 2x5 header or the terminal connection.

post-10240-135135548952_thumb.jpg

I hand routed it in this time oPossum :D

Might be over kill and its a tad pricy but the 78XX compatible regulator I'm looking at is: V7803W-500R ( http://search.digikey.com/us/en/product ... ND/2757923 ) So you can put in from 9 to 72 V and its all self contained, just used the regular 78XX footprint from the library though so I'm thinking that hole really isn't needed but that is okay I think.

The regulators data sheet says to place a diode above as I did in the schematic for over voltage protection. So added that as well.

But getting some errors I don't know what they mean after I installed the SeeedStudio DRC packages. :S

post-10240-135135548963_thumb.jpg

Jim

booster.brd

booster.sch

First you say LEDs are power hogs, then you add a 75V to 3.3V linear regulator? Something doesn't add up ;)

Have a look at the LM5007 Step-Down regulator. WEBENCH is acting up for me right now, but there may be a reference layout for this. And if not, you might be able to get your hands on the gerbers for the eval kit.

Cheers

TomKraut

Tom,

Its not a linear regulator, its just in a package suitable for use in where a 78XX type linear regulator would fit.

It has a efficiency level of 82% when you input only 9V on the 3.3V version, and goes up from there the higher the input voltage.

Most of my Web Bench designs were not that much better, and tended to be more limited on input voltage options.

Jim