43oh

Ethernet Booster Pack

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[EDIT] The newest version of this BP is here   [EDIT] This project is finished Available in the 43oh Store. This is still in it's early phase, so I need your input. Here are some specs so far: 1.

First board (actually it's the second one) assembled and working as expected! Shipping rest of the boards to SA tomorrow.  

If all goes well with the booster pack, a standalone version will follow. The one below is 2" x 1", has MSP430G2553, LDO, 8 GPIOs, and a programming header.  

Posted Images

I can make the holes bigger, but there is not enough space to accommodate ZIF.

I will remove TSSOP once I get the files back from Joachim and off to Seeed :)

@bluehash,

thanks for the offer but given your Seeed orders track record, I will ship it to my address.

Ha, ha, just kidding, I will PM you.

Stacking headers and a HD44780 Booster might be a more universal idea. I know I've got plenty of character LCD's sitting around. Just make sure the two are stackable - or compatible with SA's LCD booster.

**Edit**

Maybe I should revise that. A snazzy enclosure and LCD could also be a big boost for the 43oh store :)

Since the hardware part is done, now it's time to write a sample server.

What I am working on is a server that will take simple commands and return XML response (an AJAX enabled page can send those commands as a GET request and parse XML response.)

Here's are few examples of how the command will look like:

http://192.168.253.43/s?t=p&n=1&v=3  // set port 1 to 3 ( P1OUT = 0x03)

http://192.168.253.43/s?t=p&n=1&f=r&v=1  // set resistor enable on port 1 to 3 ( P1REN = 0x03)

http://192.168.253.43/g?t=p&n=1 // get port 1  (P1IN)

http://192.168.253.43/a // get ADCMEM

The responses will look like this (draft xsd is attached below):

// status OK after some command like set port 1...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

// get ADCMEM

// get ADC channel 1 & 2

// get port information, depends on what was requested

7f

// get pin information, depends on what was requested

true
false

false

msp430xml.zip

Since the hardware part is done, now it's time to write a sample server.

What I am working on is a server that will take simple commands and return XML response (an AJAX enabled page can send those commands as a GET request and parse XML response.)

Looks good. Have you consideret using JSON instead of XML? It's quite easily parsed by any web browser, and is a less verbose than XML. As JSON block ends don't depend on their start (compared to XMLs ), I believe that it would be easier to generate the responses.

I like to add some information regarding the PCB design.

On the PHY (inside W5200) the connection to the transformer (inside the RJ45 'MagJack') some critical signals exist and some features of the PHY makes life more easy.

Most important is to have the signals the same length inside the RX signal pair and the TX signal pair, and hold this signals as close together as possible. You can see very good in RobG's new picture compared to the older one.

Some advice:

a) There is no polarity on the 100mbps PHY signals - means you can turn around the TX+ and TX- signals and also you can exchange the RX+ and RX- with each other. ! dont mix TX.. and RX.. !

Yes, the 10mbps signals have a polarity but PHY automaticaly turns them internally 'auto polarity' feature. => no polarity.

B) the RX and TX pair can be exchanged the same way, because the PHY knows 'auto-cross-over, MDIX' function. So you don't care about standard or cross patch-cable.

For PCB design this means:

=> it's easy to avoid vias in PHY signals - easy straight forward to the MagJack.

c) more tricky ! you need the 50ohm (49 is OK) resistors as close to the PHY as possible.

I did that using vias and put the 50ohm R's on the bottom side of PCB.

d) inside the transformer is a center connection 'CT' = 'center tab' that must be connected to analog Vcc here 3.3V.

This voltage must be as stable and noise free as possible. Therefor we added C's right under the MagJack on bottom side.

Normally this CT voltage is only needed for the TX pair, but because of auto crossover, also needed for RX pair.

Sometimes (like here) this two CT are connected internally already so there is only one CT at this MagJack.

e) every PHY has an external R for 'Bandgap' or 'Bias' adjustment. This must be perfectly match the manufactureres recomendation better 1% ! we used two R's in series so you can select cheap R's just out of standard E12 or E24.

Now, it's on you to give live into it. Have fun with coding.

BR, Joachim

Looks good. Have you consideret using JSON instead of XML? It's quite easily parsed by any web browser, and is a less verbose than XML. As JSON block ends don't depend on their start (compared to XMLs ), I believe that it would be easier to generate the responses.

Yes, I am considering JSON as well.

The reason I like XML better is because it is more versatile and has better support.

In any case, I will try to make generating response as abstract as possible, so you can switch from JSON to XML as needed.

{
  "msp430":{
     "status":0,
     "adcmem":1023,
     "adcs":[
        {
           "channel":0,
           "label":1023
        },
        {
           "channel":1,
           "label":1023
        }
     ],
     "ports":[
        {
           "name":"p1",
           "dir":"0f",
           "in":"7f",
           "ifg":"00"
        },
        {
           "name":"p2",
           "out":"01"
        }
     ]
  }
}

Yes, I am considering JSON as well.

The reason I like XML better is because it is more versatile and has better support.

In any case, I will try to make generating response as abstract as possible, so you can switch from JSON to XML as needed.

In the end I guess it's all about preferences. Being able to switch between the two would be a really nice thing, if it can be done without too much effort. After all, it's quite trivial to convert between XML and JSON

Oh, and I wonder how difficult it would be to UPnP-enable such a system -- not that I think it's fun to parse XML on a small MCU :-)

Found some time to work on the server today and it is mostly finished.

I am still having some problems with the chip's buffer (as you can see on the image) and after they are resolved, I will create a simple page that will hide the "ugliness" of the request parameters and XML.

post-197-135135548285_thumb.png