43oh

Ethernet Booster Pack

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

[EDIT] The newest version of this BP is here   [EDIT] This project is finished Available in the 43oh Store. This is still in it's early phase, so I need your input. Here are some specs so far: 1.

First board (actually it's the second one) assembled and working as expected! Shipping rest of the boards to SA tomorrow.  

If all goes well with the booster pack, a standalone version will follow. The one below is 2" x 1", has MSP430G2553, LDO, 8 GPIOs, and a programming header.  

Posted Images

Wow this is looking like a cool dev board/booster pack.

Is the plan to do:

1. A group buy: 1 person buys a bulk number of parts plus PCBs and then send them out as kits?

2. A blank PCB available for sale and buyer use the BoM to buy their own parts?

3. A fully assembled kit? This would likely drive the cost up considerably :?

Depending on the final cost I'd put myself down for 2 or 3 pieces of option 1 or 2. :D

I'm down with soldering QFNs I'd prefer option 1 just because shipping fees are expensive to Australia, 1 package would be cheaper than 3 or 4.

After running for 8 hours @ 3.6V and responding to queries every 2 seconds, W5200 is still fine.

I guess 3.6V is OK.

FYI, server responded with 2553's internal temperature reading (and if you wonder why the temperature is jumping, it's because sampling time is too short and I didn't feel like fixing it for the test, plus reloads are more obvious that way :) )

After running for 8 hours @ 3.6V and responding to queries every 2 seconds, W5200 is still fine.

I guess 3.6V is OK.

Very cool. That W5200 seems really awesome.

I'm currently playing around with the ENC28J60, and although I have created a small IPv6 stack capable of UDP it hardly seems worth the effort compared to the W5200 (which is lower priced as well) :oops:

Rig-up a quick gpio template and I bet more people would be willing to buy into it as a finished product (or barebones starting kit).

Like two fixed digital in, and 4 fixed digital out (toggle buttons), or web configurable (harder I bet).

(On my end, I only have wifi, with no access to the router *ifyouknowwhatImean* so ethernet is not so useful).

Rig-up a quick gpio template and I bet more people would be willing to buy into it as a finished product (or barebones starting kit).

Like two fixed digital in, and 4 fixed digital out (toggle buttons), or web configurable (harder I bet).

Once I am done with the board design and waiting on the assembled one, I will concentrate on the driver and a simple server that will do just that, toggle outputs and return input values. There will be 9-10 GPIOs available, including USCIA pins for serial comm via UART or SPI. My intended use for this was a remote X-10 controller (or AFE031 based system,) so I will most likely provide software for that as well (some additional hardware will be required.)

...a simple server that will do just that, toggle outputs and return input values. There will be 9-10 GPIOs available, including USCIA pins for serial comm via UART or SPI.

Okay, now I have to have more than I thought! Rob, I am in awe. :thumbup:

All required parts are laid out. The only things left to do are LDO and opto. I will finish it up tonight and post it for comments before sending off to Seeed.

Any suggestions on LDO and opto?

W5200 needs <200mA, LP probably <50mA, 250mA LDO should do the trick, but I am thinking 500mA would be the best.

There is just enough space left to fit two 6 pin opto's, one dual 8 pin, or two or three 4 pin SOICs. Should I even bother?

Hello Rob,

very good. This PCB looks briliant. :thumbup:

Nevertheless - the PHY signals are critical.

I'm sure it will work, but maybe I can try an improvement on schematic and PCB layout.

There are some small things that can be improved between W5200 and MagJack.

Maybe you can send me your eagle lbr, sch and brd files -I'll send back my version and you decide.

I'm actual working on an official WIZnet.lbr (all parts in one lbr) so I can also crosscheck your footprint.

As this is my first posting here I like to introduce myselfe.

I'm Joachim, WIZnet member & FAE in Europe and graduated engineer in electronic and IT.

In the past sometimes 8051, Cortex M3 and Renesas coder, but Hardware is my first place.

Sorry, but I never met the MSP430 MCU but maybe in the future - your board...

...like to have one ! order !

best regards, Joachim W