RobG

Ethernet Booster Pack

[EDIT] The newest version of this BP is here

[EDIT] This project is finished :smile:
Available in the 43oh Store.

This is still in it's early phase, so I need your input.

Here are some specs so far:
1. WIZnet's W5200 Ethernet controller chip (W5100 or W5300 is an option.)
2. MagJack
3. LDO + power header
4. Opto isolators (2 or more) + output header
5. Input/output header for switches/keypad/display
6. DIP or SMD MSP430G

I have decided to use W5200 because...
"W5200 chip is a Hardwired TCP/IP embedded Ethernet controller that enables easier internet connection for embedded systems using SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface). The W5200 is composed of a fully hardwired market-proven TCP/IP stack and an integrated Ethernet MAC & PHY. Hardwired TCP/IP stack supports TCP, UDP, IPv4, ICMP,
ARP, IGMP, and PPPoE. By using W5200, users can implement the Ethernet application they need by using a simple socket
program instead of handling a complex Ethernet Controller."

In other words, you do not have to deal with or waste resources on TCP/IP stack.

The board could be used as a booster pack or free standing, hence MSP430G and LDO.
The total cost should be around $10 or less.

Few decisions I have to make:
2 or more opto couplers?
DIP, SMD or both (MSP430G?)

Any suggestions?

post-197-135135545201_thumb.png

What are the optos used for...

You could use this board to control lights, appliances, etc., via internet. I was thinking of using transistors, but in case you want to control something more powerful, opto would be a better choice.

This is so cool! I want one! :D

I'm with bluehash on the footprint issue, both options would be best. If there isn't enough space, you could solder a socket into a DIP footprint and just swap MSPs.

Oh, and just put as many optos on there as possible. One can always leave them unpopulated...

Where do you get the W5200s? I only found them at Mouser, and they are out of stock with a lead time of 17 weeks.

Cheers

TomKraut

PCB ~ $1.50 (if you make it yourself)

W5200 - $3.70 (from Saelig, in stock, Parallax has them in stock too, but for $5.00.)

RB1-125BAG1A MagJack < $3.00 (from Saeling, currently out of stock, 1-2 weeks; could use something cheaper, like Sparkfun's $1.99 jack, but there footprints are different)

25MHz X-tal ~ $1.00

20 resistors, 16 capacitors, 3 inductors, 2 headers ~ $0.80

optional:

Opto ~ $0.25-$1.00 each

MSP430G2553 ~ $1.50 - 2.00 ($1.47 DIP in stock @ Avnet)

If it's PoE and has a MSP430 onboard... Can I ask that there be a 2x# header that connects all available pins (minus ones that are not re-useable)? This way you could easily ribbon cable or board to board it (RA header if you put it near the edge)...

How many people will use real POE, vs just powering it off a homemade cable?

Add 2 sets of jumpers, which can be moved around to wire the ldo to the unused pairs.

I agree with cde. The number of people using PoE will be so small, it will not be worth adding it to this board (another board can be designed.) The problem is finding the right MagJack. The one digikey sells (PoE) has a different footprint than the one WIZnet uses.

Now opto isolators. Because of the DIP socket, I will only be able to fit four 4pin transistor opto isolators or one or two 6pin transistor/triac ones (safety reasons.) Maybe I will just go with 4pin ones and design another board with four opto isolators, that can be stacked on top (or used as a booster pack by itself.) Another option would be to use one of the triac boards.

Not sure if I need additional header for the inputs. When this board is used as a standalone, J1 and J2 can be used. When used as booster pack, stacking headers or DIP pads would do the trick.

post-197-135135545948_thumb.png

Wooo! I'd be a super omega fan of a Ethernet boosterpack. Not sure about the WIZnet though... That a QFN package there? Not sure how much fun that would be to solder. Also what Ethernet Stack would you be using?

A popular Ethernet controller chip that i'm aware of is the ENC28J60. These come in pretty much every package from SOIC to DIP to QFN. There also SPI based so they can easily interface with the MSP430G2553. Its also rather cheap since its around 3.6 usd for the SOIC version.

Currently i'm working on developing with this device for ARM and then was going to work on the MSP430. Was going to work on porting the TuxGraphics ethernet stack and then work on porting the UIP stack for better control. Anyhow, thats a long ways off. First gotta finish all my darn schoolwork for this semester.

Yes, that is QFN package, but since pins are exposed, soldering should be no problem.

No Ethernet stack.

Unlike ENC28J60, W5200 includes a fully hardwired TCP/IP stack which supports TCP, UDP, IPv4, ICMP, ARP, IGMP, and PPPoE.

All you need is a simple socket driver.

This looks really interesting. Does anyone have any experience with the Wiznet chips? As far as I can see, they are quite cheap (~5 USD at Mouser) compared to the ENC28J60 (~3.5 USD). For the 1.5 USD extra you get a TCP/IP implementation and more RX/TX memory (8KB vs 32KB). Good deal, or too good to be true?