43oh

Have outside links open in new window/tab

Having every outside link (including links in sigs) navigate away from 43oh.com or the forums seems counter to what most site-owners want.

It also goes against my normal method of browsing: I open outside links in additional tabs. When I'm done with them, I close the tab. No messing with the "Back" button; no worrying about losing my place on the site I started from.

Simple to do in the html.

Anyone agree? :D

Strongly disagree. Opening links in a new tab/win is not even half an inch away (another button on the mouse) or at most a modifier button; overriding this (especially selectively) is pretty much impossible, AFAICT.

Deciding where I want my content is absolutely not for the site to decide.

Fair enough. I guess I just got used to it working that way on most other sites. Site owners who want to monetize their site generally want to keep you on their site as much as possible.

I can certainly deal with the mouse gesture, or holding the control key.

Site owners who want to monetize their site generally want to keep you on their site as much as possible.

I for one have not and will not spend a split second on a site (any site) that thinks keeping me is best done with technical measures (especially if I perceive the measures as "annoying") and not relevant content.

To some problems the solution is not technology, even if the technology to solve the problem exists :).

Honestly... I've been annoyed randomly after following a link and not realizing it didn't open itself in a new tab... close the tab and ... wait... where'd my 43oh go?? Open a new browser and go back to the forums...

Links to externals should open new tabs unless they are specific types of links. Links navigating away from the blog SHOULD open in a new tab.

• 2 months later...